Last Updated on July 20, 2022 by Kayla Berman
Crispy Garlic Parmesan Smashed Potatoes are the perfect side dish recipe! Made with baby gold potatoes, fresh garlic cloves, olive oil, and parmesan cheese … these potatoes have crispy edges and soft & fluffy middles. They’re flavorful, oven roasted to golden brown perfection, and delicious!
Your new favorite easy & delicious side dish…
Potatoes are one of those foods that you can’t go wrong with. They’re delicious in every form – mashed, roasted, french fries, hash browns … the list goes on and on. However, this recipe involves my new potato obsession and preferred method – smashed!
You get the best of three worlds with this easy potato side dish. There’s the crunch and crisp, like in french fries! The soft and fluffy potato inside, like in mashed potatoes. And lastly the flavorful, fancy feel of oven roasted potatoes.
Plus you get it all in an easy to make 4 ingredient recipe!
This easy side dish recipe is made with 3 main ingredients – small potatoes, fresh garlic cloves, and parmesan cheese! You’ll also need salt, pepper, and fresh herbs if you’d like.
- Baby Potatoes: These crispy potatoes are made with gold baby potatoes! Any smaller potatoes should work, like baby red potatoes. You will need about 24 oz!
- Garlic: Garlic gives this recipe so much delicious flavor. Add 4-5 minced cloves.
- Olive Oil: Use 3 tbsp olive oil here to get perfectly crispy smashed potatoes.
- Parmesan Cheese: Everything is better with cheese in my opinion, especially parmesan cheese. This potatoes recipe is no different. 1/4 cup is the perfect amount!
- Salt & Pepper: Season these potatoes with salt & pepper to taste.
- Fresh Parsley: Fresh parsley is optional, but it is both a tasty addition and beautiful garnish! Fresh thyme is another great option.
How to make Crispy Garlic Parmesan Smashed Potatoes…
Crispy Garlic Parmesan Smashed Potatoes are a super simple recipe! First, you’ll boil the small potatoes. Then you’ll add them to a sheet pan, season, and smash! Then bake to crispy, crunchy, golden perfection.
Step 1: First add the potatoes to a large pot with heavily salted water. Boil for 20 minutes or until fork tender. Drain and place potatoes on a large baking sheet.
Step 2: Smash the boiled potatoes gently with a drinking glass or potato masher. Add the olive oil, minced garlic, parmesan cheese, salt, and black pepper to the potatoes. Thoroughly coat the potatoes.
Step 3: Bake at 400 degrees for 35 minutes. Remove from the hot oven and top with fresh parsley & more parmesan cheese. Enjoy!
Crispy Smashed Potato Recipe tips…
Follow the tips below for the best potatoes each and every time!
Smash when hot: Make sure to smash the cooked potatoes quickly after you remove them from the boiling water. They will be soft at this point and allow for the best smash!
Use a drinking glass or potato masher: For potato smashing, you can use a potato masher or the bottom of a heavy glass. Either will work, but I used the glass. One because I didn’t have a potato masher and two because it is a fun part of the process in my opinion!
Grease the jar: If you are using a glass or jar, I recommend greasing the bottom of it. This helps to prevent any sticking to the soft potatoes!
Thoroughly coat the potatoes: When adding the olive oil and seasonings make sure to thoroughly coat the whole potatoes. This ensure ultimate crispiness and flavor!
Frequently Asked Questions
What are smashed potatoes?
Smashed potatoes are exactly what they sound like … potatoes that have been smashed!
The process is quite simple. Essentially you use two methods of cooking the potatoes. First boiling and then oven roasting. The result is a potato with perfectly crispy edges and deliciously soft & fluffy middles!
What kind of potatoes should I use?
You can use any baby or little potatoes in this recipe.
Can I use garlic powder & dried herbs instead of the fresh ingredients?
Yes, whatever works for you. If you do not have fresh garlic or herbs on hand, they can definitely be replaced with garlic powder and dried herbs.
You could also add more seasonings like onion powder or paprika!
How do I serve Crispy Garlic Smashed Potatoes?
You can serve these crispy garlic potatoes as the perfect side to any main dish.
Try with my Baked Parmesan Herb Crusted Salmon, Creamy Herb Chicken, or Easy Pesto Baked Chicken!
How to store…
Store these potatoes in an airtight container in the fridge. They should keep for about 1 week!
How to reheat…
You can reheat these Crispy Garlic Parmesan Smashed Potatoes in the microwave or oven.
Microwave: Heat in the microwave for 30 – 60 seconds depending on the serving size.
Oven: Set the oven to 400 degrees. Add to a prepared baking sheet with parchment paper or aluminum foil and spray with olive oil. Bake until warmed and crisped to your liking.
Connect with me!
If you make Crispy Garlic Parmesan Smashed Potatoes or any of my other recipes I would absolutely love to know! Tag me @wellnessbykay on instagram, so I can see and share your recreation.
Love Crispy Garlic Parmesan Smashed Potatoes? Check out more easy side dishes below…
- Crack Green Beans
- Tortellini Caprese Salad
- Cheesy Au Gratin Potatoes
- Maple Glazed Roasted Potatoes
- Cobb Salad
- Avocado Corn Salad
- Cheesy Cauliflower Rice Balls
- Warm Couscous & Brussels Sprout Salad
Love this recipe? Leave a comment and a rating! I love to see and it helps me continue to develop delicious recipes for this blog.Print
Crispy Garlic Parmesan Smashed Potatoes
Crispy Garlic Parmesan Smashed Potatoes are the best side dish recipe! Made with baby potatoes, fresh garlic cloves, olive oil, and parmesan cheese … these potatoes have crispy edges and soft & fluffy middles. They’re flavorful, oven roasted to golden brown perfection, and delicious!
- Prep Time: 15 Minutes
- Cook Time: 55 Minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- Yield: 4 Servings 1x
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Baked
- 24 oz baby potatoes
- 4–5 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- Salt & pepper
- Fresh parsley
- First add the potatoes to a large pot with water. Heavily salt the water and boil for 20 minutes or until fork tender.
- Drain and place potatoes on a sheet pan.
- Smash the potatoes gently with a drinking glass or potato masher. Add the olive oil, minced garlic, parmesan cheese, salt, and black pepper to the potatoes. Thoroughly coat the potatoes.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 35 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and top with fresh parsley & more parmesan cheese.
Keywords: Crispy Garlic Parmesan Smashed Potatoes, Crispy Smashed Potato Recipe, Parmesan Smashed Potatoes, Crispy Potatoes,
These were delicious! I followed the recipe exactly and would definitely make them again.