Last Updated on June 29, 2022 by Kayla Berman
Easy Baked Pesto Chicken is an easy and healthy dinner recipe! Made with boneless chicken breasts, basil pesto, and grape tomatoes … this simple oven baked chicken is juicy, flavorful, and delicious. Pair with pasta or your favorite salad for the perfect weeknight meal.
Love pesto? Check out my Orzo Pesto Pasta Salad, Pesto Flatbread Pizza, or Pesto Butter Salmon!
A simple & flavorful low-carb dinner recipe…
I live for an easy, healthy, and delicious dinner recipe. I mean who has time to cook up elaborate meals after a busy day of school or work? Not me!
That is why I am all for easy recipes with minimal ingredients and limited cleanup, that are still loaded with flavor. Pesto baked chicken is just that.
This low-carb meal is made with one pan, uses only 5 main ingredients, and is ready in no time. It’s pretty much the easiest chicken recipe! Serve with pasta, a side salad, or extra vegetables for the perfect dinner.
Ingredients needed for Baked Pesto Chicken…
Easy Baked Pesto Chicken is made with 5 healthy and simple ingredients! Plus salt & pepper, but we all know those don’t count.
- Chicken Breasts: This dinner recipes calls for 2 skinless, boneless chicken breasts.
- Tomatoes: You’ll also need grape tomatoes! The fresh tomatoes pair perfectly with the pesto here and are bursting with delicious flavor. 1 cup is just the right amount. You could also use cherry tomatoes instead!
- Basil Pesto: Basil pesto is the star of this chicken dish. You can use your favorite from the grocery store or even a homemade pesto sauce! You’ll need 1/4 cup.
- Olive Oil: Coat the chicken in 1 tbsp olive oil.
- Garlic Powder: Garlic powder adds an extra bit of tasty flavor here. Use 1 tsp!
- Salt & Pepper: Add however much salt and pepper you’d like to this pesto chicken recipe.
- Fresh Herbs: Fresh herbs are optional here, but highly recommend. I’d go with fresh basil or fresh parsley. So yum!
As this recipe calls for so few ingredients, not many swaps can be made. However, I’ve included some ideas below if you’d like.
Chicken Breasts: If you prefer chicken thighs, you could use them in place of the chicken breasts. You would, however, have to adjust the cooking time slightly.
Fresh Garlic: I used garlic powder to keep this recipe super simple, easy, and quick. But using fresh garlic would of course be extra delicious!
How to make Oven Baked Pesto Chicken…
This is an easy one sheet pan recipe! You’ll have a healthy, low carb, and delicious dinner ready in under 40 minutes.
Step 1: Set the oven to 425 degrees.
Step 2: Next pound the chicken breasts to thin them out and tenderize. Add the prepared, tender chicken breasts to a lined baking dish or sheet pan. Coat the chicken pieces evenly with the olive oil, garlic powder, black pepper & salt.
Step 3: Next add the pesto and spread on top of the chicken breasts. Spread evenly. Add the grape tomatoes to the pan and coat in any seasonings, oil, or pesto remaining on the pan.
Step 4: Place the pan in the preheated oven and bake for 25 minutes. Enjoy!
Frequently Asked Questions
Which pesto should I use in this easy dinner recipe?
You can use any type of pesto you’d like. Here is one of my favorites!
Using homemade pesto would also be absolutely delicious.
How do I know when the chicken is done?
If you bake the chicken for the allotted 25 minutes, it should be completely done and fully cooked through.
To be absolutely sure you can use a meat thermometer. Stick it into the largest part of the chicken breast and ensure the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees. Or you could simply cut into it and look for yourself!
Do I have to line the sheet pan?
You don’t necessarily have to, but I love lining whatever baking dish or pan I am using with parchment paper or aluminum foil. It makes for such easy cleanup!
How to serve this Pesto Chicken Recipe…
There are so many different ways to serve Baked Pesto Chicken! You could serve as is with the tomatoes and another vegetable side, like green beans or roasted broccoli, for a super low carb meal. Zucchini noodles and cauliflower rice are other side dishes that would keep things low carb.
Or my personal favorite option, serve with my Crispy Garlic Parmesan Smashed Potatoes. Serving with pasta , roasted potatoes, or garlic knots is also a great choice for a more well-rounded, filling dinner!
No matter what, I recommend adding fresh parsley and parmesan cheese on top. So delicious!
Store this easy dinner recipe in an airtight container in the refrigerator. It will last for about 1 week!
Re-heating Easy Baked Pesto Chicken…
The best way to re-heat pesto chicken is in the microwave. Simply heat for about 60 seconds.
Connect with me!
If you make this Easy Baked Pesto Chicken Recipe or any of my other recipes, I would absolutely love to know! Tag me @wellnessbykay on Instagram so I can see and share your recreations.
Love this Easy Baked Pesto Chicken Recipe? Check our more healthy & easy dinner recipes below….
- Pan Seared Chicken Thighs
- Ground Turkey Sweet Potato Bake
- Healthy Sun Dried Tomato Pasta with Spinach
- Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas
- Crusted Chicken Romano
- Parmesan Herb Crusted Salmon
- Buffalo Chicken Stuffed Peppers
- Homemade Vegetable Gnocchi Soup
- Honey Soy Sheet Pan Chicken Thighs
- Chicken Apple Sausage Sheet Pan Dinner
Love this recipe? Leave a comment and a rating! I love to see and it helps me continue to develop delicious recipes for this blog.Print
Easy Baked Pesto Chicken Recipe
Easy Baked Pesto Chicken is a quick and healthy dinner recipe! Made with boneless chicken breasts, basil pesto, and grape tomatoes … this simple oven baked chicken is juicy, flavorful, and delicious. Pair with pasta or a side salad for the perfect weeknight meal.
- Prep Time: 15 Minutes
- Cook Time: 25 Minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 2–3 Servings 1x
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Oven Baked
- Cuisine: Italian
- Diet: Gluten Free
- 2 large chicken breasts, boneless
- 1 cup grape tomatoes
- 1/4 cup basil pesto
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- Salt & pepper
- Fresh parsley
- Set the oven to 425 degrees.
- Next pound the chicken breasts to thin them out and tenderize.
- Add the prepared chicken breasts to a lined baking dish or sheet pan. Coat the chicken pieces evenly with the olive oil, garlic powder, black pepper & salt.
- Next distribute the pesto among the two breasts. Spread evenly on top.
- Add the grape tomatoes to the pan and coat in any seasonings, oil, or pesto remaining on the pan.
- Bake for 25 minutes.
Keywords: Easy Baked Pesto Chicken Recipe, Baked Pesto Chicken, Oven Baked Pesto Chicken, Pesto Chicken Recipe, Easy Dinner Recipe