Last Updated on June 29, 2023 by Kayla Berman
Crescent Roll Cinnamon Rolls use refrigerated pre-made dough and are ready in about 30 minutes. Somewhere in between homemade and straight from a tube … these easy cinnamon rolls have an ooey-gooey delicious cinnamon sugar filling, are fluffy on the inside, and golden brown on top. Plus they’re complete with a sweet and simple cream cheese glaze! They are sure to be a family favorite in no time.
Need more easy cinnamon roll recipes? Check out my Air Fryer Cinnamon Rolls next.
About This Recipe
When it comes to doughy, bakery-style goods and treats – I am all about the shortcuts! I personally do not like to deal with any yeast or wait for dough to rise. That is why crescent roll dough is my best friend!
I use the pre-made refrigerated dough in endless delicious treats, like Easy Peach Cobbler and Cinnamon Pull-Apart Monkey Bread. It works in savory snacks too! Like in Cheesy Garlic Knots or Ham & Cheese Roll-Ups.
But my absolute favorite in-a-pinch recipe I can make using crescent rolls is cinnamon rolls! Probably because I love traditional cinnamon rolls so much. The rich, buttery, and ooey-gooey pastry is incredibly delicious, but I just don’t have the time or patience required to make it from scratch!
These delicious warm rolls are what I like to call halfway between homemade and straight from the tube. They are perfect for when you want cinnamon rolls on your table in just about 30 minutes.
Cinnamon rolls made with crescent rolls only call for 7 simple ingredients! You probably already have most of them in your kitchen too. Which you gotta love!
Here’s the short list you’ll need to grab from the grocery store:
- Crescent Roll Dough: These super duper easy cinnamon rolls use 1 can of crescent roll dough. I used 1 tube Pillsbury crescent rolls! You can also use a crescent dough sheet to make your life easier.
- Butter: Salted butter is added to this sweet treat breakfast recipe in two places. You will need 1/4 cup butter for the rolls and 2 tbsp for the glaze.
- Light Brown Sugar: Light brown sugar gives this great recipe a rich and delicious flavor and sweetness. Add 1/4 cup!
- Cinnamon: The most important ingredient in a cinnamon roll is of course cinnamon! Use 1/2 tbsp of the warm spice in the filling of these rolls and a little extra sprinkling on top.
- Cream Cheese: I do not think cinnamon rolls are complete without a cream cheese glaze or frosting. So we’re making one! You will need to grab 1/4 cup of cream cheese.
- Vanilla Extract: 1/2 tsp vanilla extract adds that classic flavor to the glaze!
- Powdered Sugar: Lastly, powdered or confectioner’s sugar sweetens up the cream cheese glaze wonderfully here. 1/4 cup is the perfect amount.
Now let’s make some cinnamon rolls from crescent rolls!
How To Make Cinnamon Rolls With Crescent Rolls
I like to call these rolls lazy girl cinnamon rolls for a reason! They are super low effort, use refrigerated pre-made dough, and will be ready in about 30 minutes. Now how’s that for a quick recipe?
They will make your kitchen smell like an ooey-gooey, buttery cinnamon dream in no time at all!
Step 1: Heat oven. Set the oven to 375 degrees.
Step 2: Roll out dough. Open the can of crescent rolls and roll out the dough. Spread the butter evenly on top. See my Expert Tips section for handling dough with perforated lines.
Step 3: Combine cinnamon sugar. In a small bowl combine the brown sugar and cinnamon. Sprinkle the cinnamon-sugar mixture evenly on top of the dough. Rub the mixture into the butter with your hands.
Step 4: Roll & slice. Roll the dough up tightly and carefully. Cut off about 1 inch on each end. Then cut the remaining dough into 9 even slices, they should be about 1 inch thick.
Step 5: Bake rolls. Place the slices into a small greased baking dish. Sprinkle with extra cinnamon. Bake for 20- 25 minutes. Ensuring that the middle cinnamon roll is fully cooked through.
Step 7: Prepare cream cheese glaze. While the cinnamon rolls are baking, work on the cream cheese glaze. Simply combine the cream cheese, butter, vanilla extract, and powdered sugar until smooth.
Step 8: Add glaze. Remove the cinnamon rolls from the oven and spread the glaze on top.
Step 9: Serve & Enjoy the perfect breakfast treat!
Easy Crescent Roll Cinnamon Rolls Expert Tips
Follow the tips below for the perfect cinnamon rolls using crescent rolls each and every time.
Be careful with the dough! Lots of crescent roll doughs come with the perforated lines to separate. When handling the dough be careful not to rip these. I recommend squeezing them together with your fingers to ensure the dough stays in one piece. Alternatively, you could use a crescent dough sheet rather than regular crescent rolls and not have to worry about the perforated lines.
Ensure you are using softened butter as instructed, not melted butter! If you use melted butter for the filing of your crescent dough cinnamon rolls, it could all ooze right out when baked.
Mix your cinnamon and sugar together! This may seem like an extra step, but it will guarantee an even spread of the delicious filling.
Use a pastry brush to easily spread the butter and cinnamon brown sugar mixture on your crescent dough.
Use a serrated, sharp knife to cut the large roll into slices! A serrated knife cuts through dough much better than any other knife. It helps to not squish the rolls and get a perfect slice.
Make sure to fully bake the rolls! When baking these cinnamon crescent rolls, the ones on the outside of the dish may seem to be fully cooked and ready, but the inside roll could still be a little doughy. Make sure to bake for the instructed 20-25 minutes, and maybe a few extra minutes depending on your oven.
Although I think this recipe for cinnamon rolls out of crescent rolls is perfect aswritten, there is always room for changes or additions to meet your personal preferences, tastes, and needs.
I want this recipe to be perfect for each and every one of you as well! Here are some of my ideas:
- Cream Cheese Glaze: If you are not a fan of a cream cheese glaze, no worries! You can replace it with a simple powdered sugar glaze like this one or just top the rolls with some butter.
- Chocolate: A chocolate version of these rolls would be delicious! Perhaps add some chocolate chips to the filling. Or swap out the cinnamon sugar spread entirely for Nutella. Now that would be next-level!
- Fruit or Jam Rolls: Add some fresh fruit or jam to the filling of these rolls for a fruity take!
- Nuts: Some caramelized nuts would be an absolutely delectable addition here. Like pecans, walnuts, or almonds.
- Savory: Swap out the sweet cinnamon sugar filling for a savory filling! Perhaps butter, fresh herbs, and spices. Or cheese!
I can’t really think of a time or place in which I wouldn’t want to enjoy about a dozen of these delicious cinnamon rolls! They are just that scrumptious.
I can however, give you some ideas for when serving these cinnamon rolls from crescent dough is pretty much a must.
- Holiday Mornings: I love the holidays that are celebrated with a big breakfast or brunch spread! It means I can enjoy all of my sweet treat breakfast favorites – French Toast Casserole, Monkey Bread, and these mini cinnamon rolls. Duh! They are the absolute perfect dish to serve at Easter or Christmas morning.
- Weekend Mornings: Because it does not need to be a holiday to enjoy this easy breakfast treat! Kick back next Sunday or Saturday morning with one of these rolls paired with a cup of coffee. It will be pure heaven!
- Quick & Easy Dessert: A question I do not know the answer to is – are cinnamon rolls a breakfast or a dessert? I actually struggle with this question quite often as a food blogger, especially when it comes to categorizing recipes. For other baked goods as well – like muffins or banana bread. But I have decided that they all can be both! These cream cheese glazed crescent cinnamon rolls work just as well as an after dinner sweet or bedtime dessert, as they would a breakfast!
Your cinnamon rolls will be soggy in the middle if they are not cooked all the way through. Make sure to bake for the instructed time to prevent this from happening!
Both crescent rolls dough and a crescent dough sheet will work for this easy recipe! The dough sheet might be slightly preferred as it is seamless and doesn’t have the perforated lines to worry about like crescent roll dough has.
But do not worry! If all you have on hand is crescent rolls, it will work perfectly fine. Check out my Expert Tips section to see how to handle the dough like a pro.
This crescent roll cinnamon roll recipe can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator. The rolls will be most delicious for up to 3 days!
I do not recommend storing this recipe at room temperature, as the cream cheese glaze is made with both butter and cream cheese.
To re-heat these rolls simply pop them in them microwave for about 20-40 seconds depending on the serving size!
You could also re-heat in the oven. I would recommend covering them and baking at 300 degrees F for 5-10 minutes until warmed throughout.
Sweet Breakfast Recipes
- Cinnamon Crescent Roll Monkey Bread
- Peanut Butter Banana Oatmeal Bars
- Gluten Free Cinnamon Coffee Cake
- French Toast Bites
- Chocolate Baked Oats
- Brown Butter Banana Bread
- Gluten Free Banana Muffins
- Brownie Baked Oatmeal
Easy Dessert Recipes
- Cream Cheese Chocolate Chip Dip
- Chocolate Tahini Brownies
- Air Fryer Peaches with Cinnamon
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Bites
- Small Batch No Bake Cookies
- Cinnamon Sugar Pretzels
- Oatmeal Chocolate Chunk Cookies Bars
Connect with me!
If you make these cinnamon rolls out of crescent rolls or any of my other recipes, I would absolutely love to know! Tag me @wellnessbykay on Instagram so I can see and share your recreations!
Love this recipe? Leave a comment and a rating! I love to see and it helps me continue to develop delicious recipes for this blog.
Crescent Roll Cinnamon Rolls
Crescent Roll Cinnamon Rolls use refrigerated pre-made dough and are ready in about 30 minutes. Somewhere in between homemade and straight from a tube … these easy cinnamon rolls have an ooey-gooey delicious cinnamon sugar filling, are fluffy on the inside, and golden on top. Plus they’re complete with a sweet & simple cream cheese glaze! Sure to be a family favorite in no time.
- Prep Time: 10 Minutes
- Cook Time: 20 Minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 9 Rolls 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baked
- 1 tube crescent roll dough
- 1/4 cup salted butter, softened
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 tbsp cinnamon
Cream Cheese Glaze
- 1/4 cup cream cheese, softened
- 2 tbsp salted butter, softened
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- Set the oven to 375 degrees.
- Roll out the crescent roll dough. Spread the butter evenly on top.
- In a small bowl combine the brown sugar and cinnamon. Sprinkle the mixture evenly on top of the dough. Rub the mixture into the butter with your hands.
- Roll the dough up tightly and carefully. Cut off about 1 inch on each end. Then cut the remaining dough into 9 even slices, they should be about 1 inch thick.
- Place the 9 slices into a small greased baking dish. Sprinkle with extra cinnamon.
- Bake for 20- 25 minutes. Ensuring that the middle cinnamon roll is fully cooked through.
- While the cinnamon rolls are baking, work on the cream cheese glaze. Simply combine the cream cheese, butter, vanilla extract, and powdered sugar until smooth.
- Remove the cinnamon rolls from the oven and spread the glaze on top.
Keywords: Crescent Roll Cinnamon Rolls, Easy Cinnamon Rolls, Premade Dough Cinnamon Rolls, Mini Cinnamon Rolls