Despite it being the middle of winter, I am looking forward to Spring. It feels like the longer and warmer days are right around the corner! And for me, Spring is the season of brunch. I think its because my family and I have always celebrated the classic Spring holidays, Easter and Mother’s Day, with brunch. The family gathers and we eat and enjoy the works! I’m talking bagels, eggs, bacon, fruit, and of course my favorite part, the sweet dish of sorts. This could be a coffee cake, donuts, or even monkey bread but my favorite has got to be a deliciously sweet french toast bake. I wanted to bring my own version of a french toast bake to your tables this spring, and let’s be honest to my own table too! And let me tell you after you try this Cinnamon French Toast Bake, you will always want it on your table.
Let me tell you guys about this cinnamon french toast bake! I have perfected it. This recipe took multiple tries to nail because I knew exactly how I wanted it to taste and wouldn’t settle for any less! And to make things even better this french toast bake is inspired by cinnamon rolls. Yup. They are bursting with cinnamon flavor and even have a simple cream cheese frosting situation that really seals the cinnamon roll deal. This fluffy bake literally feels like you’re eating cinnamon rolls, but in the form of an easy casserole!
Ingredients needed for this Cinnamon French Toast Bake…
This Cinnamon French Toast Bake is actually incredibly easy to make and only calls for a few ingredients! This recipe requires some more classic and indulgent ingredients like a rich brioche loaf, butter, and cream cheese. But it also has healthy swaps in the form of pure maple syrup instead of your classic sugar and almond milk instead of heavy cream! This french toast casserole is a perfect example of my recipe style, a little classic and a little better-for-you.
- Brioche Loaf: Brioche really takes this french toast bake to a whole new level. The bread is rich, buttery, and delicious and just brings that to the dish! You will need 1 loaf.
- Eggs: This french toast casserole calls for 8 whole eggs.
- Almond Milk: I always use unsweetened vanilla almond milk, but you can truly use any milk you like. Add 1 cup.
- Pure Maple Syrup: Pure maple syrup gives an absolutely delicious flavor and sweetness to this recipe! You will need 1/4 cup + 3 tbsp separated.
- Cream Cheese: Cream cheese is of course needed for the cream cheese frosting! 4 oz is the perfect amount.
- Butter: You will also need 3 tbsp butter for the frosting.
- Cinnamon: This cinnamon french toast bake calls for lots and lots of cinnamon! You will need 2 1/2 tsp and an extra sprinkle here and there!
- Vanilla Extract: Vanilla extract is used in both the bake itself and the cream cheese frosting! Together you will need 2 1/2 tsp.
- Salt: 1/8 tsp of salt is needed to bring out and elevate the other flavors in this recipe.
How to make Cinnamon French Toast Bake from scratch…
Set the oven to 375 degrees.
Next cut the brioche loaf into cubes. Grease a large baking dish and add the cubes to the dish.
In a mixing bowl combine the eggs, almond milk, maple syrup, vanilla extract, and cinnamon. Combine evenly.
Pour the egg mixture over the bread cubes. Mix around the cubes with your hands or a spoon and make sure every cube is evenly coated. Then sprinkle with some extra cinnamon.
Bake for 25-30 minutes.
While the bake is in the oven, start making the cream cheese frosting. Soften both the butter and cream cheese and combine. Also mix in the vanilla extract and maple syrup until smooth.
Remove the french toast bake from the oven and let cool slightly. Drizzle or spread the cream cheese frosting on top of the bake. Sprinkle with some extra cinnamon.
Answering your Cinnamon French Toast Bake questions…
What type of bread is best for this french toast bake?
I have only tested this french toast bake recipe with brioche, so that is the type of bread I recommend using. Brioche is such a rich and buttery bread that just makes this bake absolutely delicious. However sourdough, french bread, and challah are also great for french toast.
How do you keep cinnamon from clumping in french toast?
If your cinnamon is clumping in your egg mixture it is okay. Do not worry! My cinnamon clumped while making this but the cinnamon was still distributed deliciously through the dish. You can whisk the egg mixture to try and break out the clumps, but when you pour the it over the bread cubes and mix around the cinnamon will be spread.
How to best store and serve this cinnamon french toast casserole?
This french toast casserole is absolutely best served fresh! I recommend serving right out of the oven and enjoying with a drizzle of maple syrup.
This recipe can be stored in the fridge in an airtight container for about a week, but is not the best to heat up. You can re-heat in the microwave, however the french toast could become more soggy than you would like. Therefore, I recommend enjoying on the day you make this delicious brunch recipe!
Check out some other recipes perfect for brunch…
- Broccoli Cheddar Egg Bake with Turkey Bacon
- Double Chocolate Zucchini Muffins
- Best Ever Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Pancakes
- Gluten Free Mini Chocolate Chip Muffins
Connect with me!
If you make this Cinnamon French Toast Bake or any of my other recipes I would absolutely love to know! Tag me @wellnessbykay on instagram, so I can see and share your recreations!!
Love this recipe? Leave a comment and a rating! I love to see and it helps me continue to develop delicious recipes for this blog.Print
Cinnamon French Toast Bake
Cinnamon french toast bake is the best recipe to add to your brunch spread! Made with brioche and cream cheese frosting, this quick and easy recipe tastes just like cinnamon rolls but in the form of an easy casserole. This delicious recipe is made with a few healthy swaps too!
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: 8 servings 1x
- Category: Brunch
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
French Toast Bake
- 1 brioche loaf
- 8 eggs
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp pure maple syrup
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp salt
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 4 oz cream cheese
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp pure maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Set the oven to 375 degrees.
- Cut the brioche loaf into cubes and place into a greased large baking dish.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the eggs, almond milk, maple syrup, cinnamon, vanilla extract, and salt.
- Pour the egg mixture over the cubed bread. Mix everything with your hands or a spoon and make sure every cube of bread is coated.
- Flatten and spread the bread evenly. Sprinkle with some extra cinnamon.
- Bake for 25 – 30 minutes.
- While the french toast is baking, make the cream cheese frosting. First soften the cream cheese and butter and then combine with the maple syrup and vanilla extract until smooth.
- Remove the french toast from the oven and let cool slightly. Then drizzle or spread the cream cheese frosting on top. Add an extra sprinkle of cinnamon too.
Keywords: french toast, french toast bake, cinnamon french toast bake, brioche french toast bake, cinnamon roll french toast bake, cream cheese frosting