Last Updated on August 12, 2022 by Kayla Berman
Apple Banana Muffins are a quick, easy, and delicious muffin recipe! Full of natural sweetness, warm cinnamon flavor, and ripe fruit … this sweet treat is fluffy, moist, cozy, and a healthy option. Kids and adults alike will love this recipe. It is perfect for a fall morning or a school lunch box!
Quick, Easy, & Moist One-Bowl Muffins
Bananas are one of the most quintessential fruits out there! I mean they are a true classic. There are endless recipes to make with them too – like banana cake, and orange banana smoothie, and of course the classic chocolate chip banana bread.
And apples! The other classic fruit – a snacking classic. Plus a true fall baking star! My favorite recipes are apple crisp, crescent roll apple cobbler, apple cider donut holes, and caramel apple dip too.
Apple Banana Muffins combine the two favorite fruits into one sweet treat! It is perhaps an unconventional pairing, but a truly delicious one.
Full of natural sweetness and cinnamon flavor these muffins are soft, fluffy, and incredibly moist! They are quick, easy, and made in one bowl too.
Pop this treat in a lunch box for a healthy sweet snack or serve as a cozy breakfast on a fall morning. Either way will be scrumptious and will leave everyone wanting more!
These muffins are made with sweet apple, ripe bananas, warm cinnamon, and more classic baking ingredients! They’re full of natural sweetness, are refined sugar free, and are a healthy choice.
- Bananas: The base of this recipe is mashed bananas! You’ll need 1 1/2 cups or about 4 whole bananas.
- Apple: Small pieces of tender apple are spread all throughout these muffins. It is so good! Add 1 cup of chopped apple or about 1 medium sized apple.
- Coconut Sugar: The sweetener used in this recipe is coconut sugar. It is a refined sugar free granulated sugar option. It adds rich and delicious flavor! 1/2 cup is all you need.
- Butter: Add 1/2 cup unsalted butter for that classic taste.
- Eggs: This easy recipe calls for 2 eggs for moisture and binding.
- Flour: All purpose flour is the flour of choice here. You will need 1 1/4 cup!
- Cinnamon: 1 tsp cinnamon adds all the warm fall flavor to these muffins.
- Vanilla Extract: Add 2 tsp vanilla extract for that classic taste!
- Baking Powder: 2 tsp baking powder gives this recipe a perfect fluffy texture.
- Salt: Lastly, add a little bit of salt to balance out all the sweet and enhance the rest of the flavors. 1/2 tsp to be exact!
Substitutions & Additions
There are some substitutions and additions you could make to this recipe for it to meet your personal tastes, preferences, or needs! However, just be careful to not make too many changes as you may not get the best results.
Butter: For a dairy free option you could replace the melted butter here with melted coconut oil.
Flour: To up the nutrition in this recipe, you could swap the all purpose flour with whole wheat pastry flour. They are typically a 1:1 replacement!
Sugar: I love the use of coconut sugar in this recipe! It is a great healthy option. But regular white sugar or brown sugar should work as well.
Nuts: Nuts would add a perfect crunch here. Perhaps almonds, walnuts, or pecans!
Chocolate: I think chocolate chips would be a great idea for a mix-in! Semi-sweet, white, milk, or dark … whatever you like.
Crumble Topping: Another fantastic addition here would be a crumble topping. Here is a super simple recipe!
How To Make This Recipe
These delicious muffins are so simple to make! They are quick, easy, and only require one bowl.
Banana apple muffins will be ready in under an hour and will have your kitchen smelling absolutely amazing. Like cinnamon apple autumn deliciousness!
Step By Step Instructions
Step 1: Set the oven to 350 degrees.
Step 2: Add the mashed bananas, coconut sugar, and melted butter to a large mixing bowl. Combine.
Step 3: Then mix in the eggs and vanilla extract.
Step 4: Next add the dry ingredients – flour, baking powder, and salt – to the wet ingredients. Combine evenly.
Step 5: Stir in the chopped apple.
Step 6: Transfer the muffin batter to a lined muffin pan. Add about ice cream scoop sized spoonfuls of the batter to each of the muffin cups. You should have enough batter for 12 muffins.
Step 7: Bake for 25 minutes.
Step 8: Remove from the oven, let cool, and enjoy!
Don’t over-mix the batter! This keeps the muffins extra light and fluffy.
Use extra-ripe, spotty, and brown bananas. They provide the most banana flavor and sweetness.
Line your muffin tins with muffin liners. They make for such easy muffin removal and minimal mess. I love these environmental friendly paper liners!
Let the muffins cool completely before enjoying! This allows them to fully set and form.
Frequently Asked Questions
I honestly think any apple would be delicious in these muffins! But I personally always use Honeycrisp. They’re my favorite apple to both eat and bake with.
I think another great option would be gala apples!
Totally! This recipe can easily be made into mini muffins.
Transfer the muffin mix or batter to a mini muffin tin instead of a regular sized tin. The baking time will also be less … I recommend trying 10 minutes!
I recommend storing this recipe in an airtight container in the refrigerator. You could store at room temperature, but since these muffins are quite moist I do think they stay most fresh and delicious in the fridge.
They will last about 1 – 1 1/2 weeks!
Yes, you can! Simply transfer the muffins to a freezer bag or container and place in the freezer. They will keep for a couple of months and are the perfect addition to a freezer stash of goodies.
Love this recipe? Check out more muffin recipes…
- Raspberry White Chocolate Muffins
- Banana Blueberry Muffins
- Easy Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins
- Almond Flour Banana Muffins
- Pumpkin Muffins
- Double Chocolate Zucchini Muffins
Connect with me!
If you make these healthy muffins or any of my other recipes, I would absolutely love to know! Tag me @wellnessbykay on Instagram so I can see and share your recreations.
Love this recipe? Leave a comment and a rating! I love to see and it helps me continue to develop delicious recipes for this blog.Print
Apple Banana Muffins with Cinnamon
Apple Banana Muffins are a quick, easy, and delicious muffin recipe! Full of natural sweetness, warm cinnamon flavor, and ripe fruit … this sweet treat is fluffy, moist, cozy, and a healthy option. Kids and adults alike will love this recipe. They are perfect for a fall morning or to pack in a school lunch box!
- Prep Time: 15 Minutes
- Cook Time: 25 Minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 12 Muffins 1x
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Baked
- 1 1/2 cups mashed banana, (4 bananas)
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup chopped apple
- Set the oven to 350 degrees.
- Add the mashed banana, coconut sugar, and melted butter to a large mixing bowl. Combine.
- Then mix in the eggs and vanilla extract.
- Next add the dry ingredients – flour, baking powder, and salt – to the wet ingredients. Combine evenly.
- Stir in the chopped apple.
- Transfer the muffin batter to a lined muffin pan. Add about ice cream scoop sized spoonfuls of the batter to each of the muffin cups. You should have enough batter for 12 muffins.
- Bake for 25 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, let cool, and enjoy!
Keywords: apple banana muffins, banana apple muffins, apple banana muffin recipe, apple banana muffin, apple and banana muffins
If you don’t have coconut sugar can you sub brown or granulated?