I’m here to make a bold statement everyone. After lots and lots of contemplating, I think zucchini is my favorite vegetable! And that is because of its versatility. It can literally be eaten with or thrown into anything. Of course it has its most common purpose in savory dishes or as a delicious vegetable side. But it also has the ability to go in so many delicious sweet treats and baked goods! I definitely capitalize on both of those methods, but I gotta say sneaking the nutritious veggie into my desserts or even breakfast is for sure my favorite. And these Double Chocolate Zucchini Muffins prove my point perfectly, they are full of so much chocolate deliciousness, fluffy and moist at the same time, and you absolutely cannot tell they have zucchini in them!
Now why add zucchini? Here’s why!
I absolutely love to add zucchini to my sweet baked goods or even breakfasts. It might seem crazy to add a vegetable to chocolate muffins, but trust me you absolutely cannot taste it. Even my sister, who is sort of a vegetable hater, loves my zucchini filled treats! The zucchini adds perfect moisture to baked goods and gives an extra nutrition boost in the form of vegetables that you can’t taste. Literally what is better than that?
Here are some of my other zucchini treats! First up, is my chocolate chip zucchini bread … one of my favorites and my sister’s absolute favorite. I’ve also got veggie packed and chocolate chip zucchini bread baked oatmeal. Both totally scrumptious!
Ingredients needed for Double Chocolate Zucchini Muffins…
These Double Chocolate Zucchini Muffins are a little bit of a healthier version to the classic. They include a few healthy swaps such as whole wheat pastry flour and coconut sugar instead of regular flour and sugar!
- Zucchini: Can’t have zucchini muffins without zucchini my friends! You’ll need 1 cup.
- Butter: This recipe calls for 1/2 cup of butter. I simply think butter adds an irresistible flavor to baked goods!
- Coconut Sugar: Coconut sugar is my favorite sugar to use in my treats. It is a refined sugar free granulated sugar option! Add 1 cup.
- Whole Wheat Pastry Flour: I love love love whole wheat pastry flour! It adds a nutritional boost but still makes for soft & light baked goods. You will need 1 2/3 cup.
- Cocoa Powder: 1/3 cup of cocoa powder is added to these muffins for all things chocolate!
- Almond Milk: I use unsweetened vanilla almond milk, but this could be replaced with the milk of your choice. Use 1/2 cup.
- Eggs: You will need 2 eggs for this recipe.
- Chocolate Chips: I use dairy free semi sweet mini chips! You could use regular semi sweet chocolate chips or even dark chocolate if you would like. This recipe calls for 1/2 cup and a little extra!
- Vanilla Extract: 1 tsp of vanilla extract gives these double chocolate muffins the perfect flavor!
- Baking Powder: 2 tsp of baking powder helps these muffins bake to perfection.
- Salt: Add 1/2 tsp of salt to bring out the rest of the delicious flavors in this recipe!
How to make these Double Chocolate Zucchini Muffins from scratch…
Set the oven to 250 degrees.
Shred your zucchini. You will need one cup which is approximately one medium zucchini. Once you have shredded the zucchini, squeeze out all the liquid. I do this by wrapping the zucchini in some paper towel and simply squeezing out the liquid with my hands!
Add the zucchini to a large mixing bowl. Add in the coconut sugar, eggs, melted butter, almond milk, and vanilla extract. Combine evenly.
Next add in the whole wheat pastry flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt. Combine until smooth. Add in the chocolate chips and stir to combine.
Grab a muffin tin and line or grease. Add an ice cream scooper sized amount of the batter to each muffin. This batter will make 12 muffins.
Top with more chocolate chips and a sprinkle of salt. Bake for 25 minutes.
Let cool and enjoy!
Answering all your zucchini muffin questions!
Should I peel the zucchini for these muffins?
I do not peel the zucchini, but you totally could! I like the little specks of green that the zucchini skin adds to the muffins. All I do is make sure the zucchini is thoroughly washed before shredding and adding to the batter! You also cannot taste the skin if that is what you’re worried about.
How much zucchini is one cup grated?
One medium zucchini typically equals one cup of grated or shredded zucchini. I would use this as a general rule, but if you have a small or large zucchini, you may have to use slightly less or slightly more than one.
How do I know when the zucchini muffins are done?
A great way, and my favorite way, to know when muffins, breads, or cakes are done baking is with the toothpick trick. Stick one in and if it comes out clean, you are good to go! You can also use a knife for this trick. And if the toothpick does not come out clean, simply pop back in the oven for a few more minutes.
Love these chocolate muffins? Check out these other recipes!
- Pumpkin Muffins
- Cranberry Orange Bread
- Sweet Potato Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Healthy Double Chocolate Chip Cookies
Connect with me!
If you make these Double Chocolate Zucchini Muffins or any of my other recipes I would absolutely love to know! Tag me @wellnessbykay on instagram, so I can see and share your recreations!!
Love this recipe? Leave a comment and a rating! I love to see and it helps me continue to develop delicious recipes for this blog.
Double Chocolate Zucchini Muffins
Double Chocolate Zucchini Muffins are simply the best! This easy recipe is moist & fluffy at the same time, full of chocolate goodness, and healthier than the classic. Made with whole wheat pastry flour and coconut sugar, these chocolate zucchini muffins are perfect for breakfast or dessert. And trust me, you cannot taste the zucchini one bit!
- Prep Time: 20 Minutes
- Cook Time: 25 Minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 12 Muffins 1x
- Category: Muffins
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
- 1 cup shredded zucchini
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1 2/3 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Set the oven to 350 degrees.
- Shred the zucchini, measure out 1 cup, and then squeeze out the liquid. I do this by wrapping the zucchini in paper towel and simply squeezing with my hands.
- Add the zucchini to a large mixing bowl. Add in the eggs, coconut sugar, melted butter, almond milk, and vanilla extract. Combine evenly.
- Next add in the whole wheat pastry flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt. Combine.
- Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Grab a greased or lined muffin tin. Add ice cream scoop sized spoonfuls of batter to each muffin. This batter will make 12 muffins.
- Add more chocolate chips and sprinkle of salt on top.
- Bake for 25 minutes.
- Let cool & enjoy!
Keywords: double chocolate muffins, double chocolate zucchini muffins, zucchini muffins, double chocolate, healthy double chocolate muffins