Last Updated on March 22, 2023 by Kayla Berman
La Scala Salad Copycat is the perfect simple salad! Made with iceberg lettuce, garbanzo beans, salami, turkey, mozzarella cheese, cucumber, and a homemade creamy, tangy dressing …. this trending recipe is fresh, flavorful, crunchy, and delicious. Plus it is low carb, healthy, and easy to make. There is no wonder it went viral on TikTok!
Trending Chopped Salad Recipe
I am actually not a crazy salad fan, believe it or not! I usually only like them from a restaurant or fancy salad shop. Or if everything is chopped up super nice and small.
I am simply not into getting a big mouthful of spinach. Or worse … those purple leaves! What even are those?!
But I am a huge fan of this Copycat La Scala Salad. Probably because it checks all my salad boxes! It is restaurant quality, literally a copycat recipe, and all the tasty ingredients are chopped perfectly so that you taste all the delicious flavors in every bite.
This amazing salad is made with crisp iceberg lettuce, tender garbanzo beans, salty salami, oven roasted turkey breast, crunchy cucumber, mozzarella cheese, and a homemade creamy and tangy dressing. It is literally the salad of all salads!
I don’t think you could find someone who doesn’t like it. Truly! It’s light, crunchy, creamy, and fresh all at the same time.
Plus this recipe requires no cooking, just some chopping. You can have a healthy, low carb, and simple meal ready in no time. It works great as meal prep too!
There’s no wonder why this famous salad went viral on TikTok.
My version of this Italian chopped salad does not require too many ingredients!
It is actually quite easy for any home cook to recreate this famous Beverly Hills restaurant dish.
- Iceberg Lettuce: This delicious salad calls for 1 head of iceberg lettuce. It is the perfect crunchy, crisp lettuce for the base of this salad!
- Deli Meat: You’ll need two kinds of deli meat here, Italian salami and oven roasted turkey breast. The two additions make this a copycat recipe of the La Scala Turkey Chop! Add 6 oz turkey and 4 oz salami.
- Mozzarella: Any good salad has lots of cheese! And this one is no different … add 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese.
- Cucumber: Cucumber is such a great vegetable addition here. I love the crunch and neutral flavor it adds! I use 1 English cucumber because it has no seeds and is extra crispy.
- Olive Oil: The base of this creamy, tangy dressing is 5 tbsp olive oil. Use a high quality extra virgin olive oil for the best results!
- Red Wine Vinegar: 2 tbsp red wine vinegar is what gives this recipe that tang. So delicious!
- Dijon Mustard: Dijon mustard adds a nice and sharp tangy flavor too! It also acts as an emulsifying agent that helps the oil and vinegar stay together here. 2 tsp is all you need!
- Pecorino Romano: I absolutely love the addition of pecorino Romano cheese in this dressing. It ensures a cheesy, salty flavor in every bite! Add 1/4 cup.
- Salt & Pepper: Lastly, season this dressing with salt and black pepper to taste.
Substitutions & Additions
There are tons of substitutions and additions you could make to this viral recipe for it to meet your personal preferences, tastes, or needs!
Lettuce: I love using iceberg lettuce as the base of this recipe for its crunch, but romaine lettuce would also work.
Veggies: You could add so many extra vegetables here to up the nutrition! Perhaps bell pepper, cherry tomatoes, red onion, or artichoke hearts.
Meats: If you are not a fan of deli meat, try topping this salad with grilled chicken breast. Or even grilled shrimp! If you are a fan of deli meat, you could add more. Pepperoni or cold cut chicken would work perfectly.
Cheese: Parmesan cheese is a fantastic replacement for Romano cheese here! And you could swap in any cheese you’d like for the mozzarella. Maybe cheddar cheese or feta cheese.
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Cutting Board
- Chef Knife
- Measuring Cups / Spoons
- Large Mixing Bowl
- Small Bowl
- Optional: Small Jar
How To Make This Recipe
This famous salad recipe is quite simple to make at home! It requires a bit of chopping – hence the name – but once that is done you are pretty much good to go.
You can have a quick and healthy lunch prepared for the whole week!
Step By Step Instructions
Step 1: First add all the chopped salad ingredients to a large bowl – iceberg lettuce, turkey, salami, garbanzo beans, cucumber, and mozzarella cheese.
Step 2: Then make the dressing. Add the red wine vinegar, dijon mustard, and Romano cheese to a small bowl. Whisk to combine.
Step 3: Pour in the olive oil as you continue to whisk. Whisk until a well combined, creamy dressing forms. Season with salt and black pepper to taste.
Step 4: Add the dressing to the chopped salad mixture. Combine thoroughly.
Step 5: Serve and enjoy!
If you are preparing this salad ahead of time, don’t dress it. Prepare the salad and dressing separately and then combine as you go.
Chop all the salad ingredients into a small, uniform size. I recommend chopping the meat into thin strips!
Prepare the dressing in a small jar! I love to use old jam jars for this, or something like these.
Frequently Asked Questions
The La Scala Chopped Salad is a salad from an Italian restaurant in Beverly Hills, La Scala. It is made with marinated garbanzo beans, iceberg lettuce, salami, cheese, and a homemade dressing!
The restaurant was originally made famous as a hot spot by the Kardashians and the salad became known as one of their favorite salads!
Then more recently the salad recipe went viral on TikTok! Tons of people started recreating it and sharing their own version – which is a common trend with famous celebrity foods.
So this is my version! It most closely mimics the La Scala Turkey Chop and is quite delicious.
For more viral TikTok recipes, check out my Italian Grinder Salad Sandwich!
Yes, absolutely! I love to prepare this salad at the beginning of the week and then have it ready for a quick lunch.
Simply chop and combine all of the salad ingredients and prepare the dressing. Store the two separately and combine each time you’d like to enjoy the salad.
This salad can be served as is on it’s own for a simple lunch or dinner! But you could also remove or use less of the deli meat and enjoy alongside a different protein option.
This would make it a bit more filling! Like with my Romano Crusted Chicken, Greek Baked Chicken, or Pesto Butter Salmon.
You can store this salad in an airtight container in the refrigerator! It should keep for about 3-5 days.
I recommend storing undressed, but if you have leftover dressed salad you can also store that. It will just get a bit soggy!
Love this recipe? Check out more delicious recipes below…
- Lemon Pepper Tuna Salad
- Bacon Ranch Chicken Salad
- Mediterranean Chopped Salad
- Tuna Lettuce Wraps
- Egg Salad with Pickles
- Barbecue Ranch Chicken Salad
- Italian Grinder Sandwich
- Chicken Salad with Grapes & Walnuts
Meal Prep Recipes
- Burger Salad with Special Sauce Dressing
- Ground Turkey Teriyaki Rice Bowls
- Buffalo Chicken Zucchini Boats
- Greek Chicken Meatballs
- Baja Shrimp Taco Bowls
- Oven Baked Greek Chicken Breast
- Mediterranean Chickpea Couscous Salad
Connect With Me!
If you make this healthy salad recipe or any of my other recipes, I would absolutely love to know! Tag me @wellnessbykay on Instagram so I can see and share your recreations.
Love this recipe? Leave a comment and a rating! I love to see and it helps me continue to develop delicious recipes for this blog.Print
Famous La Scala Chopped Salad (Copycat Recipe!)
La Scala Chopped Salad Copycat is the perfect simple salad! Made with iceberg lettuce, garbanzo beans, salami, turkey, mozzarella cheese, cucumber, and a homemade creamy, tangy dressing …. this trending recipe is fresh, flavorful, crunchy, and delicious. Plus it is low carb, healthy, and easy to make. There is no wonder it went viral on TikTok!
- Prep Time: 20 Minutes
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 4 Servings 1x
- Category: Lunch / Dinner
- 1 head iceberg lettuce, finely chopped
- 6 oz oven roasted deli turkey, thinly sliced
- 4 oz salami, thinly sliced
- 1 15.5 oz can garbanzo beans
- 1 English cucumber, finely chopped
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
La Scala Dressing
- 5 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 tsp dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup grated pecorino Romano cheese
- Black pepper
- First add all the chopped salad ingredients to a large bowl – iceberg lettuce, turkey, salami, garbanzo beans, cucumber, and mozzarella cheese.
- Then make the dressing. Add the red wine vinegar, dijon mustard, and Romano cheese to a small bowl. Whisk to combine.
- Pour in the olive oil as you continue to whisk. Whisk until a well combined, creamy dressing forms. Season with salt and black pepper to taste.
- Add the dressing to the chopped salad mixture. Combine thoroughly.
- Serve and enjoy!
Keywords: la scala salad, la scala chopped salad, la scala salad recipe, la scala chopped salad recipe, la scala kardashian salad