Last Updated on June 8, 2022 by Kayla Berman
Crunchy Homemade Granola Clusters are going to be your new go-to granola recipe! Made with old-fashioned oats, almonds, coconut flakes, and honey … this simple recipe is easy, healthy, delicious, low sugar, and can be prepped in 10 minutes. Whether it is enjoyed in large clusters or smaller pieces, this homemade granola recipe is the perfect healthy snack or breakfast addition!
Your New Go-To Granola Recipe
I have been making my own granola at home for years now! And I absolutely love it. You can buy the main ingredients like oats and nuts in bulk, and then add other ingredients to make limitless flavor options. Like my cinnamon raisin, chocolate coconut, or peanut butter & jelly granolas!
The different flavor combinations are super fun to make and of course delicious, but it’s also important to have a simple, basic granola. One that you can add to anything and everything! That’s where Crunchy Homemade Granola Clusters with Honey comes in. It’s my favorite granola recipe for good reason!
This granola is your one stop shop for a reliable, delicious, and easy granola recipe! It’s perfectly sweet, takes only 10 minutes to prep, and can be customized to your liking.
Is homemade granola healthy?
I am not a dietitian or nutritionist, but yes in my opinion this granola is healthy!
It’s made with all whole ingredients with lots of nutrients. There’s complex carbs from the oats, healthy fats from the coconut oil & almonds, and a refined sugar free & natural sweetness from the honey.
It’s made with whole grains, minimally sweetened, and dairy free too! Plus these granola clusters can be gluten free if gluten-free oats are used.
Homemade granola is also a healthier option than the store bought stuff. Not only is it better for your wallet, but it’s better for you too!
There are no additives or funny ingredients when you make granola in your own kitchen. And you know exactly what you’re eating!
This recipe calls for only a few simple ingredients! Together they make the best granola – it’s crispy, crunchy, and delicious.
- Oats: The base of this recipe is oats. You’ll need 2 cups of old fashioned oats. Rolled oats or quick oats should work too!
- Almond Slices: Almond slices add a nice crunch and taste to this granola. Use 2/3 cup.
- Coconut Flakes: Another yummy addition here is coconut flakes. I absolutely love the subtle sweet and simple coconut flavor. You could also use shredded coconut! 2/3 cup is perfect.
- Coconut Oil: Refined coconut oil is used here to crisp up the granola ingredients and make them extra crunchy. Make sure to use refined, as unrefined or virgin tastes like coconut.
- Honey: The sweetener used in this recipe is honey! It adds such a delicious flavor and is a natural, refined sugar free option.
- Light Brown Sugar: You’ll also add a touch of light brown sugar, 1 tbsp to be exact, for extra sweetness. It adds a perfect richness!
- Vanilla Extract: Add 1 1/2 tsp of vanilla extract for that classic taste!
- Cinnamon: Cinnamon gives these clusters so much flavor. 1 tsp is perfect.
- Salt: Lastly, add salt to enhance the rest of the flavors! 1/4 tsp is all you need.
Substitutions & Additions
These honey granola clusters are actually quite customizable! You can make substitutions and additions to meet your personal needs or preferences. Here are some of my ideas!
Just be sure to not change too much, as the granola may not turn out quite right.
Almonds: Almonds were my nut of choice in this granola, but they can be swapped out for pretty much any nut or seed! Like cashews, peanuts, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, or flax seeds. Or even chia seeds!
Honey: Honey can be replaced with a similar liquid sweetener if you’d like. Try pure maple syrup or agave nectar!
Coconut Oil: I love to use refined coconut oil in my granola recipes for it’s neutral taste. You could swap for unrefined coconut oil for a coconut taste or even olive oil for a more savory flavor!
Brown Sugar: Light brown sugar could be replaced with coconut sugar. It’s a refined sugar free option!
Chocolate Chips: Chocolate is always a welcome addition to my recipes! Some chips would be a great mix in option here.
Dried Fruit: Dried fruit would be another great addition. I think raisins or dried cranberries would be perfect!
How To Make This Recipe
If you have never made granola at home before, you have got to start! It is an incredibly easy, money-saving process.
You mix the ingredients, spread on a large baking sheet, and bake at a low temperature to crispy, crunchy, golden brown perfection.
Step By Step Instructions
Step 1: First set the oven to 325 degrees.
Step 2: Next to a large mixing bowl add the dry ingredients. Combine oats, almond slices, and coconut flakes thoroughly.
Step 3: Then add the coconut oil, honey, brown sugar, vanilla extract, cinnamon, and salt to a small saucepan or pot on the stove over low heat. Melt until smooth and combined.
Step 4: Pour the melted wet ingredients over the dry ingredients in the large bowl. Combine thoroughly, making sure all ingredients in the oat mixture are evenly coated with the liquid mixture.
Step 5: Next transfer the granola mixture to a parchment paper prepared baking sheet. Spread the granola as thin as possible in an even layer. Press and flatten with a spatula too. Bake for 25 minutes.
Step 6: Remove from the oven and let cool completely before touching. Once cool to the touch break up the granola however you’d like – big clumps or smaller pieces. Enjoy!
Make sure you melt the liquid mixture together. This may seem like an extra step, but trust me melting the ingredients makes sure the flavor is spread out among the granola evenly.
Coat the dry ingredients evenly, thoroughly, and completely. This ensures that each and every granola chunk crisps up.
Spread the granola as thin as possible on the sheet pan before baking. Like really really spread it out!
Once the granola is spread, press it down with a spatula. This flattens the granola even further, which is what you need to get that crunchy texture!
Bake the granola low and slow!
Once removed from the oven, do not touch the granola until it is completely cooled. This step is what really allows for the soft granola to turn into crunchy clusters.
Frequently Asked Questions
There are many reasons why your granola may not be crunchy! The main offenders are not spreading it thin enough or not allowing it to cool properly.
In other instances the dry to liquid ingredient ratio could be off, but in this recipe that is not the case. If you follow the instructions carefully and use my expert tips you should get perfectly crunchy granola!
Store granola in an airtight container at room temperature. I love to use jars! It’s super cute and makes for easy grab & go snacking or pouring onto a morning yogurt bowl.
This granola should last for 1-2 weeks at room temp.
My favorite way to serve this granola is on top of a yogurt bowl! I love to add it with other tasty toppings – like fresh berries and a drizzle of honey.
You can also add this granola to ice cream, smoothie bowls, or just munch on it by the handful.
Check out my expert tips above to see how to make your granola crispy!
Love this recipe? Check out more granola recipes below…
- Maple Cinnamon Pecan Granola
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Granola
- Cinnamon Apple Pie Granola
- Peanut Butter & Jelly Granola
- Healthy Chocolate Coconut Granola
- Cinnamon Raisin Granola
- Chunky Monkey Granola
- S’mores Dessert Granola
Connect with me!
If you make this Crunchy Granola Recipe or any of my other recipes, I would absolutely love to know! Tag me @wellnessbykay on Instagram so I can see and share your recreations.
Love this recipe? Leave a comment and a rating! I love to see and it helps me continue to develop delicious recipes for this blog.Print
Crunchy Homemade Granola Clusters
Crunchy Homemade Granola Clusters are going to be your new go-to granola recipe! Made with old-fashioned oats, almonds, coconut flakes, and honey … this simple recipe is easy, healthy, delicious, low sugar, and can be prepped in 10 minutes. Whether it is enjoyed in large clusters or smaller pieces, homemade granola is the perfect healthy snack or breakfast addition!
- Prep Time: 10 Minutes
- Cook Time: 25 Minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 4 Cups 1x
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Baked
- First set the oven to 325 degrees.
- Next to a large mixing bowl add the dry ingredients – oats, almond slices, and coconut flakes. Mix thoroughly.
- Then add the coconut oil, honey, brown sugar, vanilla extract, cinnamon, and salt to a small saucepan on the stove over low heat. Melt until smooth and combined.
- Pour the melted liquid ingredients over the dry ingredients. Combine thoroughly, making sure all ingredients are evenly coated with the mixture.
- Next transfer the granola mixture to a parchment paper prepared baking sheet. Spread the granola as thin as possible. Press and flatten with a spatula too.
- Bake for 25 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let cool completely before touching. Once cool to the touch break up the granola however you’d like – bigger clusters or smaller pieces.
Keywords: homemade granola, crunchy homemade granola, homemade granola clusters, homemade granola with honey, crunchy homemade granola cluster, crunchy homemade granola with honey, homemade granola clusters with honey, crunchy granola clusters