We all know that chocolate peppermint is one of the ultimate holiday flavors and of course cookies are the ultimate holiday dessert. So I had to combine the two into one decadently delicious treat. I knew I wanted to make a chocolate peppermint cookie, but couldn’t decide if I wanted classic chocolate or white chocolate! So I did them both and came up with these Healthy Triple Chocolate Peppermint Cookies!! Chocolate chocolate chip cookies with crushed candy canes mixed in and a white chocolate drizzle on top. Yup. The ultimate holiday cookie, absolutely perfect for Christmas! Not to mention, these chewy melt-in-your-mouth cookies are gluten free and can be refined sugar and/or dairy free!
What you need for these Healhty Triple Chocolate Peppermint Cookies!
These cookies are actually made with mainly healthy, wholesome cookies and are a better-for-you version of the classic! They are completely gluten and grain free. But they can even be dairy free if you leave out the white chocolate and just use dairy free chocolate chips for the regular chocolate.
- Coconut Oil: Refined coconut oil is used in these cookies! Make sure to use refined, unrefined or virgin tastes like coconut and will leave your cookies tasting like coconut too.
- Coconut Sugar: I absolutely love to use coconut sugar, especially in my cookies! It is one of my favorite refined sugar free options.
- Almond Flour: Almond flour is the only flour used in these cookies, making them gluten and grain free.
- Cocoa Powder: Triple chocolate calls for cocoa powder!
- White & Regular Chocolate Chips: I love using semi sweet mini chips in these and classic white chocolate chips for the drizzle! If you want these cookies to be dairy free, leave out the white chocolate and use dairy free chips for the other chocolate.
- Egg: For moisture & binding!
- Candy Canes: For the festive holiday touch!
- Peppermint Extract: Peppermint extract to get that delicious chocolate peppermint flavor. This can be found in the baking aisle of most grocery stores!
- Vanilla Extract, Salt, & Baking Powder for all things flavor and texture.
How to make these Healthy Triple Chocolate Peppermint Cookies!
Set the oven to 350 degrees.
In a large mixing bowl combine the coconut sugar, coconut oil, egg, vanilla extract, and peppermint extract until smooth. Add in the almond flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt. Combine evenly.
Stir in the regular chocolate chips. Place in the fridge to chill for 10 minutes.
Grab a baking tray and line with parchment paper. Remove the dough from the fridge, roll about tablespoon sized balls, and place on the tray. Place back in the fridge and chill for another 10 minutes.
Remove from the fridge and flatten the balls into cookie shapes with your fingers. Add some crushed candy canes on top and press in to the cookie.
Bake for 10 minutes.
Melt down the white chocolate and coconut oil. You can do this over low heat in a double boiler or in the microwave. I always use the microwave, 10-15 second intervals, and stirring in between until melted and smooth.
Drizzle the white chocolate over each cooled cookie. My favorite way to do this is adding the chocolate to a ziplock bag and cutting a small hole in a corner. This makes drizzling very easy!
Lastly top with more crushed candy canes, let set, and enjoy!
Cookie Decorating Tips
White Chocolate Drizzle
The easiest way to drizzle chocolate, and the way I always do it, is with a plastic bag! All you have to do is add all the melted chocolate to the bag, seal it, and squeeze the chocolate to one of the corners. Then cut off the tip of the corner to get a very small hole. This makes it super easy to squeeze out the chocolate and decorate the cookies with control!
Candy Cane Crushing
It may seem super self explanatory to crush up some candy canes, but in case it is not … I am here to help! My no-mess easy method of crushing, no matter what i’m crushing, is again with a plastic bag. Add the candy canes to a bag and go to town with a spoon. Crush it up to your desired size and your good to go … no mess and your crushed candy canes are already stored in a bag. Perfect!
Check out some other cookies perfect for the holidays!
- Christmas Sugar Cookies
- Chocolate Caramel Cookie Cups
- Healthy Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Healthy Double Chocolate Chip Cookies
Connect with me!
If you make these Healthy Triple Chocolate Peppermint Cookies or any of my other recipes I would absolutely love to know! Tag me @wellnessbykay on instagram, so I can see and share your recreations!!Print
Healthy Triple Chocolate Peppermint Cookies
Healthy Triple Chocolate Peppermint Cookies are the ultimate holiday recipe! Think chewy double chocolate chip cookies with candy cane crunch throughout and a festive white chocolate drizzle on top. This melt-in-your-mouth treat is truly perfect for Christmas! Gluten free, grain free, and can be dairy free.
- Prep Time: 40 Minutes
- Cook Time: 10 Minutes
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: 10 Cookies 1x
- Category: Cookies
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
- 1/3 cup refined coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp peppermint extract
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
White Chocolate Topping
- 1/3 cup white chocolate chips
- 1 tsp refined coconut oil
- crushed candy canes
- Set the oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine the coconut sugar, melted coconut oil, egg, vanilla extract, and peppermint extract until smooth.
- Add in the almond flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt. Combine evenly.
- Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Place in the fridge to chill for 10 minutes.
- Remove the dough from the fridge, roll about tablespoon sized balls, and place on a parchment paper lined or greased baking tray. Chill for another 10 minutes.
- Remove from the fridge and flatten the balls into cookie shapes with your fingers.
- Add crushed candy canes on top and press into the cookie.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- Melt the white chocolate chips and coconut oil until smooth.
- Once the cookies have cooled, drizzle with the white chocolate and top with more crushed candy canes.
Keywords: chocolate peppermint cookies, chocolate peppermint, healthy chocolate peppermint cookies, white chocolate, gluten free cookies, triple chocolate cookies, holiday cookies, holiday recipe