Last Updated on December 30, 2020 by Kayla Berman
Pancakes or waffles? I’m pretty sure you know my answer…
The age old question, pancakes or waffles? And well my friends, my answer when I was younger was always waffles. Which could be because my mom was not the best pancake maker (sorry mom!), but could also be because I had never had these Best Ever Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Pancakes.
Okay. Possibly a dramatic statement because I’m not going to lie, a tall stack of chocolate chip diner pancakes loaded with butter and drowned in maple syrup, might be a little better. But when you want a gluten free healthier option, these pancakes come in as a pretty close second! They’re fluffy, perfectly sweet, and will make any morning brighter. And tastier!
What you need for these Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Pancakes!
These chocolate chip pancakes are such a great healthy option. They are absolutely delicious and totally feel like the real deal Saturday morning breakfast, but are made with simple and wholesome ingredients! Not to mention, dairy & refined sugar free too.
- Almond Flour: 1 1/2 cups of my favorite gluten free flour works perfectly in this recipe.
- Oat Flour: These pancakes have the perfect fluffy texture that a combination of almond and oat flour makes! 1 1/2 cups is what you need.
- Almond Milk: Add 1 1/4 cup of almond milk to your pancake batter! Or the milk of your choice.
- Apple Sauce: I love applesauce for a little extra moisture & sweetness. 3 tbsp will do!
- Coconut Sugar: Coconut sugar adds the perfect touch of refined-sugar free sweetness to these pancakes. 1/4 cup is the perfect amount.
- Egg: 1 egg for moisture and binding.
- Chocolate Chips: 1/2 cup of semi sweet chocolate chips makes these pancakes perfectly chocolatey. I love dairy free!
- Vanilla Extract: 1 1/2 tsp of vanilla extract for that classic pancake flavor.
- Baking Powder: Add in 2 tsp of baking powder to give these pancakes the fluff we all know and love.
- Salt: And of course salt! This recipe calls for 1/4 tsp.
How to make these Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Pancakes!
Stir, cook, and serve! These pancakes could not be easier to make.
Start by evenly combining the almond flour, oat flour, coconut sugar, baking powder, and salt.
In a separate bowl combine the almond milk, egg, applesauce, and vanilla extract.
Add the wet ingredients to the dry and combine evenly. Stir in the chocolate chips.
Cook the pancakes as you would cook any pancakes! Add about 1/4 cup of the batter to a greased pan (or electric griddle, which is my favorite!) for each pancake. Cook for about 2-3 minutes on each side. With pancakes, I always suggest cooking one first to see how high the heat should be and how long to cook because every stove & pan is different!
I recommend serving the pancakes warm with butter and pure maple syrup! Butter will of course make these pancakes dairy-full instead of dairy-free, but it is a highly delicious choice. And if you need to be dairy free, use vegan butter!
My perfect pancake trick!
My perfect pancake trick is using electric griddle! I end up with perfect pancakes every time, hence the perfect pancake trick title. They end up golden brown & fluffy, with no flipping mishaps. And when I cook pancakes on the stove … mishap galore.
Now here is the trick! Simply set the griddle to 350 degrees, spray with some cooking oil, and add your pancake batter. Then you just cook like any pancakes. I think what makes this trick so successful is that you have an even heat the whole time! Happy flipping!!
Need more breakfast recipes? I’ve got you covered.
- Chocolate Chip Apple Breakfast Cookies
- Chewy Peanut Butter Chocolate Granola Bars
- Maple Cinnamon Pecan Granola
- Sweet Potato veggie Egg Bake
Connect with me!
If you make these Best Ever Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Pancakes or any of my other recipes, I would absolutely love to know! Tag me @wellnessbykay on instagram so I can see and share your recreations!Print
Best Ever Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Pancakes
Best Ever Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Pancakes are just that, the best ever! The use of healthy ingredients like almond flour & oat flour makes these fluffy pancakes completely gluten and dairy free. Easy to make and delicious to eat, this homemade recipe is the perfect Saturday morning breakfast!
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 10 pancakes 1x
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
- 1 1/2 cups almond flour
- 1 1/2 cups oat flour
- 1 1/4 cup almond milk
- 1 egg
- 3 tbsp applesauce
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- In a large mixing bowl combine the almond flour, oat flour, coconut sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- In a separate bowl combine the almond milk, egg, applesauce, and vanilla extract.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and combine evenly.
- Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Grease a pan or griddle and heat on low (or use an electric grill at 350 degrees). Add about 1/4 cup of the batter to the pan for each pancake. Cook for 2-3 minutes on each side until golden brown. I recommend testing the heat & time for one pancake first!
- Serve up with some butter & maple syrup. Enjoy!
Keywords: pancakes, healthy pancakes, chocolate chip pancakes, gluten free pancakes, gluten free recipe, gluten free, healthy breakfast, healthy recipe
I made these pancakes and they were great! I used blueberries and I think the entire fam enjoyed.
Love the blueberries idea !! So glad you and your family enjoyed !!