People tend to ask me what my favorite dessert is, since I make and enjoy quite a few. And at first this seems like an impossible question to answer! But then when I think about it, the answer is pretty much crystal clear. Chocolate chip cookie skillet. There is simply nothing better and I will never say no to one. Ugh! The gooey cookie center and melted vanilla ice cream all in one bite, I’m drooling just thinking about it. So as I tend to do, I wanted to create a recipe of my own. Of course with a healthier spin on it. And let me tell you this Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookie Skillet certainly lives up to my delicious dessert dreams!
Now what exactly is a cookie skillet you may ask…
Short answer? A cookie skillet is the best dessert option there is!
Long answer? A cookie skillet is basically one big and utterly scrumptious cookie. And although it may look complicated to make, it is actually quite simple! You whip up some cookie dough, in this case vegan cookie dough, and bake it in a cast iron skillet instead of into individual cookies.
You will need the following ingredients for the Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookie Skillet!
This cookie skillet is just as delicious as the classic dish served at restaurants or freshly baked in your home kitchen, but it’s completely vegan! Made entirely without egg and without butter. It is also a healthy version of the classic. Made without brown sugar and instead a refined sugar free sweetener!
- Coconut Oil: This recipe calls for 1/4 cup melted refined coconut oil. I recommend refined as un-refined or virgin tastes like coconuts!
- Almond Butter: I love using creamy almond butter in my sweet treats, especially cookies, for its neutral flavor! 1/4 cup works perfectly.
- Pure Maple Syrup: Pure maple syrup, my refined sugar free sweetener of choice, works absolutely deliciously in this cookie skillet. You will need 1/4 cup!
- Applesauce: 1/4 cup of applesauce adds perfect moisture and sweetness to this recipe!
- All Purpose Flour: 3/4 cup of all purpose flour is all you need for this skillet! I believe whole wheat pastry flour would also work.
- Dairy Free Chocolate Chips: Dairy free semi sweet mini chips are my absolute favorite. 1/3 cup makes for chocolate perfection.
- Vanilla Extract: 2 tsp vanilla extract adds the best flavor!
- Baking Powder: This cookie skillet bakes wonderfully with 1 tsp of baking powder.
- Salt: Lastly, 1/4 tsp of salt to bring out all the delicious flavors in this chocolate chip cookie skillet!
Kitchen tools used in this simple & healthy recipe!
The most obvious tool required for this recipe is a cast iron skillet. I use my grandma’s 8 inch skillet that was passed down to my mom and probably down to me eventually! But here is a great option.
Besides that, you will need the basics! Mixing bowls, measuring spoons, dry measuring cups, liquid measuring cup, spatula, and of course utensils. You also do not need a hand mixer or stand mixer, making this cookie skillet is as simple and easy as can be!
How to make this Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookie Skillet…
Set the oven to 350 degrees.
In a large mixing bowl combine the applesauce, almond butter, melted coconut oil, pure maple syrup, and vanilla extract until smooth.
In a separate bowl combine the flour, baking powder, and salt. Add the wet ingredients to the dry and combine.
Stir in the chocolate chips.
Grease your cast iron skillet with extra coconut oil. I like to dip a paper towel in slightly melted oil and spread on the skillet.
Add the cookie dough to the skillet and spread evenly. Top with extra chocolate chips where needed. I love for the top of the cookie to be perfectly spotted with chocolate! Add a sprinkle of salt on top for good measure.
Bake for 20 minutes.
How to best serve this healthy Vegan Cookie Skillet…
Serve fresh for ultimate deliciousness!
I believe this chocolate chip cookie skillet is best served fresh out of the oven! There is simply nothing better than a warm and goeey cookie in this way. I also highly recommend adding a scoop, or two, of vanilla ice cream right on top for the perfect a la mode dessert!
Have leftovers? Simply heat them up!
If you serve this healthy skillet fresh and have some leftover, that is no problem! You can keep the cookie in the skillet if you would like, cover with plastic wrap, and place in the fridge for a few days. You could also remove from the skillet and store in the fridge in an airtight container!
When it’s time to re-heat the skillet all you have to do is pop in the microwave for a few seconds. Of course remove it from the skillet if it has not already been. Depending on the size of the piece, 20-30 seconds will most likely do!
Need to prepare beforehand? Try this out!
Although I have not tested, I do believe you could prep this vegan cookie dough a few hours beforehand and bake right before you are ready to serve. I recommend storing the dough in an air tight container or plastic wrapped bowl in the fridge for up to 2-3 hours. When you want to bake, simply remove from the fridge, bring room temperature, and then bake as the directions say.
Check out some other delicious desserts!
Connect with me!
If you make this Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookie Skillet or any of my other recipes I would absolutely love to know! Tag me @wellnessbykay on instagram, so I can see and share your recreations!!
Love this recipe? Leave a comment and a rating! I love to see and it helps me continue to develop delicious recipes for this blog.Print
Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookie Skillet
In need of a healthy yet deliciously indulgent dessert recipe? This Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookie Skillet is your answer. Baked in a cast iron skillet, this perfectly gooey cookie is sure to be a total crowd pleaser! It’s easy, simple, and best served warm with a scoop of vanilla (dairy free) ice cream on top.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 4–5 servings 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
- 1/4 cup refined coconut oil, melted
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- 1/4 cup almond butter
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup diary free chocolate chips
- Set the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the melted coconut oil, applesauce, almond butter, pure maple syrup, and vanilla extract.
- In a separate bowl combine the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry. Combine evenly.
- Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Transfer the cookie dough to a greased cast iron skillet. Add more chocolate chips and a sprinkle of salt on top.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Serve warm with vanilla ice cream on top & enjoy!
Keywords: cookie skillet, healthy cookie skillet, vegan cookie skillet, chocolate chip cookie skillet, homemade cookie skillet, vegan dessert, easy vegan dessert recipe, vegan cookies