Little fun fact about me … I absolutely love cream cheese frosting. Literally love it! I would put it on any dessert or sweet treat if I could. And you know what, I have put it on quite a few! Like my cinnamon french toast casserole, oatmeal cookies, and pumpkin donuts. Anyway, the reason I’m talking about cream cheese frosting is because it is without a doubt best on carrot cake. Which therefore, makes me love carrot cake! Of course I love the classic cake, but I also just love all the flavors. The warm cinnamon, the vibrant carrot, and of course the tangy cream cheese frosting. So on a journey to take these flavors and get creative in the kitchen I thought I would make Healthy Carrot Cake Pancakes. And let me tell you, these pancakes truly feel like you’re eating cake for breakfast!
Ingredients needed for Healthy Carrot Cake Pancakes…
Not only do these pancakes taste like you’re eating cake for breakfast, but they are also healthy! These pancakes are gluten free and refined sugar free. The cream cheese frosting is also much lighter than the classic, only sweetened with a touch of pure maple syrup and made with no butter. And if you leave the frosting out or use dairy free cream cheese the whole recipe is dairy free!
- Almond Flour: 1 1/2 cups of my favorite gluten free flour, almond flour, works perfectly in this recipe.
- Oat Flour: These pancakes have the perfect fluffy texture that a combination of almond and oat flour makes! 1 1/2 cups is what you need.
- Coconut Sugar: Coconut sugar is my favorite granulated refined sugar option. 1/4 cup is the perfect amount.
- Pure Maple Syrup: You’ll also add a touch of pure maple syrup to get the perfect sweetness. Add 2 tbsp!
- Almond Milk: Add 1 1/4 cup of almond milk to your pancake batter! Or the milk of your choice.
- Egg: 1 egg for moisture and binding.
- Shredded Carrot: Can’t have carrot cake without carrot! This recipe calls for 1 cup of shredded carrot.
- Applesauce: I love applesauce for a little extra moisture & sweetness. 3 tbsp will do!
- Vanilla Extract: 1 tsp of vanilla extract for that classic flavor!
- Cinnamon: You’ll need lots of cinnamon for that warm carrot cake flavor we all know and love. Use 2 tsp or even more if you’d like!
- Baking Powder: Add in 2 tsp of baking powder to give these pancakes the fluff we all know and love.
- Salt: And of course salt! This recipe calls for 1/4 tsp.
Cream Cheese Frosting
- Cream Cheese: You will need 4oz of softened cream cheese for this simple frosting!
- Pure Maple Syrup: Add 1 tbsp of pure maple syrup for the perfect sweet & tangy frosting.
- Vanilla Extract: Lastly you’ll need 1/2 tsp of vanilla extract for a little extra flavor!
How to make these Healthy Carrot Cake Pancakes…
In a large bowl combine the almond flour, oat flour, coconut sugar, cinnamon, baking powder, and salt.
Next add in the almond milk, applesauce, egg, pure maple syrup, shredded carrot, and vanilla extract. Combine evenly until a batter forms.
Next cook the pancakes as you would cook any pancakes! Add about 1/4 cup of the batter to a greased pan (or electric griddle, which is my favorite!) for each pancake. Cook for about 2-3 minutes on each side. With pancakes, I always suggest cooking one first to see how high the heat should be and how long to cook because every stove & pan is different!
While your cooking your pancakes, begin working on your cream cheese frosting. Simply combine the softened cream cheese, pure maple syrup, and vanilla extract until smooth.
Once your pancakes are done cooking stack them up, spread some frosting, and sprinkle with extra cinnamon and shredded carrot. Also add a generous pour of maple syrup if you’d like!
Check out some other recent recipes!
- Lovely Lemon Loaf
- Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies
- Healthy Mint Chocolate Chip Smoothie
- Chocolate Chunk Tahini Cake Bars
Connect with me!
If you make these Healthy Carrot Cake Pancakes or any of my other recipes I would absolutely love to know! Tag me @wellnessbykay on instagram, so I can see and share your recreations!!
Love this recipe? Leave a comment and a rating! I love to see and it helps me continue to develop delicious recipes for this blog.Print
Healthy Carrot Cake Pancakes
Healthy Carrot Cake Pancakes are the perfect breakfast recipe! Loaded with warm cinnamon flavor, made with wholesome ingredients, and topped with a sweet & tangy cream cheese frosting … these pancakes truly taste like cake for breakfast. A must make! gluten free, refined sugar free, can be dairy free
- Prep Time: 30 Minutes
- Cook Time: 30 Minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 4–5 Servings 1x
- Category: Breakfast
- Cuisine: American
Carrot Cake Pancakes
- 1 1/2 cups almond flour
- 1 1/2 cups oat flour
- 1 1/4 cup almond milk
- 1 egg
- 3 tbsp applesauce
- 2 tbsp pure maple syrup
- 1 cup shredded carrot
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 4 oz cream cheese
- 1 tbsp pure maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- In a large bowl combine the almond flour, oat flour, coconut sugar, cinnamon, baking powder, and salt.
- Next add in the almond milk, egg, shredded carrot, applesauce, pure maple syrup, and vanilla extract. Combine until a batter forms.
- Grease a pan or griddle and heat on low (or use an electric grill at 350 degrees). Add about 1/4 cup of the batter to the pan for each pancake. Cook for 2-3 minutes on each side. I recommend testing the heat & time for one pancake first!
- While the pancakes are cooking begin working the cream cheese frosting. Simply combine the softened cream cheese, pure maple syrup, and vanilla extract until smooth.
- Serve the pancakes with a spread of cream cheese frosting, an extra sprinkle of cinnamon and shredded carrot, and a pour of maple syrup if you’d like.
Keywords: carrot cake, carrot cake pancakes, healthy carrot cake pancakes, healthy pancakes, cream cheese frosting, breakfast recipe