As you can probably tell I always try to have some sort of seasonality with my recipes. This looks like apples in the fall, peppermint around the holiday season, and all things chocolate in February for Valentine’s day. And right now as I am writing this post it is officially the month of March. Which in my mind means St. Patrick’s Day. And more importantly the color green! Which is how I will be celebrating the month … with green colored foods! When I think of green foods, my mind goes straight to a childhood favorite of mine, mint chocolate chip ice cream. Therefore, to kick off my recipes for the month of March I am bringing you guys this Healthy Mint Chocolate Chip Smoothie. It is a bright & beautiful green smoothie that is naturally colored with spinach. Plus this completely vegan smoothie pretty much tastes like a healthy mint chocolate chip milkshake!
Ingredients needed for this Healthy Mint Chocolate Chip Smoothie…
This healthy smoothie recipe only calls for a handful of pretty simple ingredients and is actually completely vegan! It is nutritious enough for breakfast and delicious enough for dessert. Truly my favorite kind of recipe!
- Banana: The base of this mint chip smoothie is banana. It makes for a creamy texture and gives a delicious natural sweetness! You will need 2 bananas.
- Almond Butter: Almond butter also adds to the creaminess here! It will help keep you full too. Add 2 tbsp.
- Almond Milk: I always use unsweetened vanilla almond milk, but you can use any milk you would like. This smoothie calls for 1/3 cup!
- Spinach: Spinach gives this smoothie its beautiful green color! It also gives a massive veggie boost that you will not even be able to tell is there. Add about 1 cup.
- Pure Maple Syrup: A splash of pure maple syrup gives this smoothie just a tiny bit of extra sweetness. 1 tbsp is the perfect amount!
- Dairy Free Chocolate Chips: I love the use of dairy free semi sweet mini chips here, but you can truly use any kind of chocolate chip you have on hand. You will be stirring in 1 tbsp & sprinkling a little extra on top!
- Peppermint Extract: Peppermint extract is what gives this smoothie its signature mint chip taste! Use 1/4 – 1/2 tsp depending on how strong of a flavor you would like.
- Ice: I’m not really sure if ice is considered an ingredient, but it is used in this smoothie so I listed it! You’ll need 1/2 cup.
How to make this Healthy Mint Chocolate Chip Smoothie…
First chop up your banana.
Next add the chopped banana, almond butter, almond milk, spinach, pure maple syrup, peppermint extract, and mint to a blender. Blend until smooth.
Stir in your chocolate chips.
Pour into a glass. Top with whipped coconut cream, extra chocolate chips, and mint if you would like. Enjoy!
Answering all your Mint Chip Smoothie questions…
How do I make a creamy smoothie?
Many of the ingredients used in this recipe help to make the smoothie super creamy! These include the banana, almond butter, and even the almond milk. For the creamiest smoothie, make sure you don’t skip these ingredients and also don’t use too much as ice. This could result in an icy or even watery smoothie, rather than a thick and creamy one.
To make this smoothie even creamier you could freeze the banana beforehand. If you do this you probably wouldn’t need to use ice!
Can I add toppings to this healthy mint chocolate chip smoothie?
Yes, you totally can! I topped with coconut whipped cream, extra chocolate chips, and mint leaves for garnish. These toppings do make the smoothie lean a little more towards dessert than breakfast, but are of course delicious! If you’re looking more for breakfast toppings try granola or maybe some fruit.
What would some delicious add-ins to this mint smoothie be?
You could add a bunch of ingredients to this smoothie either to change the flavor a bit or add a nutritional boost! For a nutritional boost try chia or flax seeds, a scoop of protein powder, or even some frozen cauliflower. For extra flavor you could add some cocoa powder, more maple syrup, or if you’re feeling crazy a scoop of ice cream. That would turn this smoothie that tastes like a milkshake actually into one! Honestly, sounds like a terrific idea to me.
Check out some other recent recipes!
- Chocolate Chunk Tahini Cake Bars
- Lovely Lemon Loaf
- Healthy Peanut Butter Energy Balls
- Cinnamon French Toast Bake
Connect with me!
If you make this Healthy Mint Chocolate Chip Smoothie or any of my other recipes I would absolutely love to know! Tag me @wellnessbykay on instagram, so I can see and share your recreations!!
Love this recipe? Leave a comment and a rating! I love to see and it helps me continue to develop delicious recipes for this blog.Print
Healthy Mint Chocolate Chip Smoothie
This Mint Chocolate Chip Smoothie tastes just like a mint chip milkshake, but is actually a healthy breakfast recipe! Made with banana, spinach, almond butter, and dairy free chocolate chips … this easy vegan smoothie can even be enjoyed for dessert. You will absolutely love!
- Prep Time: 15 Minutes
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 2 Servings 1x
- Category: Breakfast
- Cuisine: American
- 2 bananas
- 2 tbsp almond butter
- 1/3 cup almond milk
- 1 cup spinach
- 1 tbsp pure maple syrup
- 1 tbsp dairy free chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup ice
- 1/2 tsp peppermint extract (1/4 tsp for a milder flavor)
- First chop your bananas.
- Add the chopped banana, almond butter, almond milk, ice, peppermint extract, spinach, and pure maple syrup to a blender. Blend until smooth.
- Next stir in the dairy free chocolate chips.
- Pour into a glass. Top with coconut whipped cream, more chocolate chips, and mint leaves if you would like. Enjoy!
Keywords: smoothie, healthy smoothie, easy smoothie, mint chocolate chip smoothie, healthy mint chocolate chip smoothie, mint chip smoothie