I fully believe that baking & enjoying this Lovely Lemon Loaf will bring an early spring! Okay that might be a little bit of a stretch, but a girl can hope you know? But it kind of makes sense because lemon is far and away the flavor of spring! It is bright and sweet and cheerful … literally all things spring. If you need to brighten your winter days a little, I highly recommend this simple lemon loaf! It is fluffy and moist, has a delicious lemon glaze, and is absolutely perfect enjoyed with a cup of tea.
Ingredients needed for this Lovely Lemon Loaf…
This glazed lemon loaf is actually a healthy version of the classic lemon loaf cake! It is made with a few swaps that lighten things up a bit. Coconut sugar, a refined sugar free option, replaces your classic white sugar. While whole wheat pastry flour is used instead of all purpose and almond milk is used in place of any heavier cream products.
- Butter: This lemon loaf calls for 1/2 cup melted butter! I am a firm believer that butter adds an irreplaceable flavor to baked goods, especially in this moist bread.
- Coconut Sugar: Coconut sugar is one of my favorite refined sugar free options. Add 1 cup!
- Almond Milk: I always use unsweetened vanilla almond milk in my recipes, but you could really use any milk you would like! Use 1/2 cup.
- Eggs: Add 2 eggs for moisture and binding!
- Whole Wheat Pastry Flour: I love to use whole wheat pastry flour in my baked goods! It adds a nutritional boost, but still makes for soft and light treats. You will need 2 cups for this recipe. You could swap with all purpose!
- Powdered Sugar: Powdered sugar is used in the lemon glaze for this bread. You will need 5 tbsp!
- Vanilla Extract: Vanilla extract adds the perfect flavor here. Add 1 tsp!
- Lemon Extract: You will also need lemon extract to truly bring out the lovely lemon flavor! 1 tsp is perfect.
- Lemon: This recipe calls for the zest and juice from about one lemon. 3 tsp of lemon zest and 3 1/2 tbsp of lemon juice to be exact!
- Baking Powder: 2 tsp of baking powder is needed to bake this lemon loaf to perfection!
- Salt: Lastly, add 1/4 tsp of salt to this bread!
How to make lemon bread from scratch…
Set the oven to 350 degrees.
In a large mixing bowl combine the melted butter, eggs, coconut sugar, almond milk, vanilla extract, lemon extract, lemon juice, and lemon zest.
In a separate bowl combine the whole wheat pastry flour, baking powder, and salt.
Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients. Combine evenly.
Transfer the batter to a greased or lined loaf pan. Spread evenly.
Bake for 40 minutes.
While the loaf is baking, work on the glaze. Simple combine the powdered sugar, lemon zest, and lemon juice until smooth. For the lemon juice start by adding 1 tbsp and add the rest as needed.
Remove the loaf from the oven and let cool completely. Flip out of the pan. Drizzle the glaze on top and then sprinkle any extra lemon zest.
Cut into slices and enjoy!
Answering all your Lovely Lemon Loaf questions…
What is the difference between lemon juice and lemon extract?
Lemon juice and lemon extract both provide lemon flavor to a baked good. However, while lemon juice comes is obviously from the juice of fresh lemons, lemon extract is made from the oil of lemon and alcohol. Lemon extract is much more concentrated too! I love to use a combination of both for a delicious lemon flavor.
What is a good substitute for Whole Wheat Pastry Flour?
You can substitute all purpose flour for the whole wheat pastry flour in this recipe! I have not actually tried all purpose for this exact loaf, but I have used it in very similar muffins and breads and it always works out well.
How to store this lemon loaf?
You can store this lemon loaf in an airtight container on the counter for a few days! After a few days, I would move to the refrigerator to stay fresh for longer.
Can I freeze lemon loaf?
Yes, you can freeze lemon loaf too! You can store lemon loaf in an airtight container for a couple of months. This is the best way to store your loaf for the longest amount of time!
Love this lemon loaf? Try out these recipes too!
- Cranberry Orange Bread
- Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread
- Double Chocolate Zucchini Muffins
- Blueberry Muffins with Lemon Coconut Glaze
Connect with me!
If you make this Lovely Lemon Loaf or any of my other recipes I would absolutely love to know! Tag me @wellnessbykay on instagram, so I can see and share your recreations!!
Love this recipe? Leave a comment and a rating! I love to see and it helps me continue to develop delicious recipes for this blog.Print
Lovely Lemon Loaf
Lovely lemon loaf is the best spring recipe! Perfectly moist and topped with a sweet & simple lemon glaze, this bread is a healthy version of the classic lemon cake. It’s made with healthy ingredient swaps like coconut sugar, whole wheat pastry flour, and almond milk. Bright, cheery, and delicious!
- Prep Time: 30 Minutes
- Cook Time: 40 Minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- Yield: 10 Slices 1x
- Category: Loaf
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp lemon zest
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp lemon extract
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 5 tbsp powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- Set the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the melted butter, eggs, coconut sugar, almond milk, lemon juice, lemon zest, lemon extract, and vanilla extract.
- In a separate bowl combine the whole wheat pastry flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients. Combine evenly.
- Transfer the batter to a greased or lined loaf pan. Spread evenly.
- Bake for 40 minutes.
- While the loaf is baking, work on your glaze. Combine the powdered sugar, lemon juice, and lemon zest until smooth. Start by adding 1 tbsp of the lemon juice, add the remaining as needed.
- Remove the loaf from the oven and let cool completely. Flip out of the pan and then drizzle the glaze on top of the loaf. Sprinkle with any extra lemon zest.
- Cut into slices and enjoy!
Keywords: lemon loaf, lovely lemon loaf, glazed lemon loaf, healthy lemon loaf, lemon cake, lemon bread, lemon bread with glaze, lemon dessert, lemon recipe