Last Updated on May 3, 2022 by Kayla Berman
I don’t know about you guys, but with the weather getting colder I am all about the cozy recipes. I’ve been dreaming about soups, stews, chilis, pastas, casseroles … I could go on and on. This cozy recipe has been one I’ve been thinking about making for about a week or so and I finally did it. Let me tell you, it did not disappoint!
I would say this soup is a perfect mix of the classic, chicken noodle soup and another classic, a creamy wild rice and chicken soup. This soup is definitely a healthier and lighter version of the creamy soup, that gets its slight creaminess from actually blending up some of the soup. Might sound weird, but honestly works so well!
I love to make this soup in the beginning of the week and then have available for whenever I need a quick meal. If you pack this for lunch or even enjoy it at home for dinner, you know that you will be getting a healthy, filling, and delicious meal. You could even sneak in some extra veggies for a nutritious boost if you’d like!Print
Chicken & Wild Rice Soup
A comforting and cozy chicken & wild rice soup perfect for a chilly day. A little creamy, loaded with flavor, and so so satisfying!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: approximately 5 servings 1x
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
- 1 small onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- 1/2 tsp no-salt seasoning mix (This contains mainly onion, garlic, and pepper. If you don’t have a seasoning mix like this simply add in more of the other seasonings or even add in a few of your favorites)
- 1/2 tsp thymre
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- salt (to taste)
- 1 cup carrots
- 1 cup celery
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cup water
- 2 chicken breasts
- 3/4 cup corn
- 1 cup cooked wild rice
- Chop the garlic, onion, carrot, and celery.
- Start sautéing the onion and garlic in the avocado oil with all of the seasonings.
- Once the onions and garlic are soft and fragrant, add in the carrots and celery. Cook all the veggies until soft.
- While you are sauteing the veggies, begin to cook the wild rice in a separate pot. (I cooked 1 cup dry wild rice, however i just used 1 cup of the cooked rice in the recipe. This way you have some rice for other meals throughout the week!)
- Once the veggies are soft, add in the vegetable broth, water, and chicken breasts.
- Bring the soup to a boil. Then reduce the heat, cover, and simmer. It will take approximately 12 minutes for your chicken to cook.
- Once the chicken is cooked through, remove it from the pot and shred with 2 forks.
- Once you remove the chicken from the soup, add in the corn. Let simmer for a minute or two.
- Take 1 1/2 cups of the soup and place in a blender. Blend until smooth and then pour this mixture back into the soup. This adds creaminess!
- Return the shredded chicken to the soup and also add in the wild rice.
- You may need to add more liquid to your soup at this point, either vegetable broth or water. I also like to add a little bit more of all the seasonings. I recommended adding to taste!
- Lastly, simmer for a few more minutes to get all the flavors combined and your good to go. Serve up and enjoy!
- When you eat this soup in the following days you will most likely have to add more vegetable broth because it tends to thicken!
Keywords: soup, chicken soup, wild rice, comforting, cozy, chicken, vegetables