Whole Wheat Pumpkin Cookies with a Maple Cream Cheese Frosting
These healthy and easy Whole Wheat Pumpkin Cookies with a Maple Cream Cheese Frosting would be perfect for Thanksgiving! They have a soft, cakey, and light texture from whole wheat pastry flour and a perfect sweetness from coconut sugar, maple syrup, pumpkin, and cinnamon.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 13 minutes
- Total Time: 28 minutes
- Yield: 15-16 1x
- Category: Cookies
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
- 1/4 cup avocado oil
- 1/2 cup canned pumpkin
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 tsp cinnamon (or to taste!! i added a little more because i love the cinnamon flavor)
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/3 cup whipped cream cheese
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- Set the oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine avocado oil, coconut sugar, egg, pumpkin, vanilla extract, and maple syrup until smooth.
- Add in the dry ingredients; whole wheat pastry flour, baking powder, and cinnamon. A thick and slightly sticky dough should be the result.
- Roll the dough into balls, place on a greased baking tray, and flatten to a cookie shape. (a little tip for if the dough is too sticky to work with is to wet your hands with some water and then roll! i re-wet my hands a couple times throughout the process.)
- Bake for 12-13 minutes.
- While baking make the cream cheese frosting. Simply combine the cream cheese and maple syrup until smooth.
- Once the cookies are taken out of the oven, let cool, and then top with the frosting. I also added an extra sprinkle of coconut sugar.
- Store in the fridge and enjoy!
Keywords: pumpkin recipes, pumpkin cookies, thanksgiving cookies, cream cheese frosting, whole wheat cookies, whole wheat pumpkin cookies, healthy pumpkin recipes