Last Updated on August 15, 2022 by Kayla Berman
Baked Greek Chicken is the perfect easy and healthy dinner recipe or meal prep option! Made with olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, and fresh herbs … this marinated oven baked chicken breast is flavorful, juicy, and tender. Bound to be a new dinner table favorite!
Quick, Easy, & Flavorful Chicken Recipe
One of my favorite recipes to make is just a simple, yet delicious protein option! Because the possibilities are truly endless.
These kinds of recipes are great to meal prep on a Sunday to keep you prepared for the week ahead or to make as an easy dinner on a busy weeknight!
Oven baked greek chicken is the prime example! This recipe takes less than 30 minutes to make, is made with real whole food ingredients, and is a delicious healthy option.
Plus it is loaded with incredible flavor from the easy marinade! It is savory, herby, juicy, tender, moist, and so much more. This recipe will have you saying goodbye to boring and dry chicken breast for good.
Easy Baked Greek Chicken is made with all healthy and simple ingredients! They come together to make a tender, juicy, and flavorful dish.
- Chicken: This simple sheet pan dinner calls for 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts.
- Olive Oil: The oil used in this easy chicken marinade is olive oil! It adds some classic greek flavors and keeps the chicken extra juicy. Add 2 tbsp!
- Lemon: Fresh lemon juice from 1/2 lemon provides so much great flavor here. It brightens up the dish wonderfully!
- Garlic: You’ll also need fresh garlic. Add 2 minced garlic cloves or however much you’d like. The more the better when it comes to garlic!
- Fresh Parsley: I love the amazing flavor that fresh parsley gives to this recipe! It really just livens everything up. Add 2 tbsp.
- Dried Herbs: In addition to some fresh herbs, you’ll also need some dried herbs. The result is a flavor explosion! Add 1 tsp oregano and 1/2 tsp thyme.
- Salt & Pepper: Lastly, add 1/2 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp black pepper.
Substitutions & Additions
There are not many ingredient substitutions you can make to this recipe as it is quite simple, but I do have a few ideas!
Chicken: You could easily swap the boneless chicken breasts here with a different cut of chicken, perhaps chicken thighs or even bone-in chicken breasts. However, you may have to alter the cooking time accordingly! You could simply look up baking times for the cut you would like to use.
Garlic: I always use fresh garlic when I can, but if you do not have any on hand or available to you just replace with garlic powder. Try 1-2 tsp depending on how much you like garlic!
Herbs: Any of the fresh or dried herbs in this easy greek chicken marinade can be replaced with the opposite! For example, you could swap the dried oregano with fresh oregano or the fresh parsley with dried parsley.
Lemon Zest: Lemon zest is not a substitution, but an addition. It would add more of that delicious citrus flavor to this marinade!
How To Make This Recipe
This flavorful chicken is incredibly easy to make! All you have to do is coat the chicken breasts in a simple greek marinade and then bake.
That’s it! It’s the perfect recipe for busy weeknights or a healthy meal prep option.
Step By Step Instructions
Step 1: Start by preparing the chicken breasts. Pound them with a meat mallet to tenderize and create an even thickness throughout.
Step 2: Place the chicken pieces in a shallow large bowl or container. Add the olive oil, lemon juice, minced garlic, fresh parsley, oregano, thyme, salt, and pepper.
Step 3: Coat the raw chicken thoroughly in the marinade ingredients. Cover.
Step 4: Let the chicken marinate in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour. I like to do overnight for the most flavorful and best results!
Step 5: The next day, or after a few hours, remove the chicken from the fridge and place on a parchment paper lined baking sheet.
Step 6: Bake at 400 degrees for 20-25 minutes depending on the thickness of the chicken. Then broil for 3-5 minutes to brown and crisp up.
Step 7: Remove from the oven, let the chicken rest for a few minutes, and then cut into slices.
Step 8: Serve and enjoy!
Don’t skip the meat mallet! I think it is crucial to beat the chicken to tenderize it and create an even thickness.
The longer you marinate, the more flavor. So marinate for as long as possible!
Make sure the chicken rests for a few minutes before cutting into it.
To get a nice crisp and golden brown color, broil for a few minutes at the end!
Frequently Asked Questions
When it comes to marinating chicken, the longer the better. The more time the chicken marinates for the more flavor it will absorb. I also think marinating for longer makes for extra juicy chicken!
I marinate my chicken in this recipe overnight. But a couple of hours should do the trick as well!
I don’t see why not! I think this chicken would be absolutely delicious grilled.
Simply follow all the same instructions up to the baking. Then grill in an outdoor grill or grill pan on the stove!
It takes approximately 20-25 minutes to bake chicken at 400F. It will depend on the thickness of the chicken.
To be sure you could always use a meat thermometer and ensure the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees!
I think the best way to serve this marinated chicken is in a rice bowl full of Mediterranean flavors. I’m talking rice pilaf, chickpeas, red onions, Kalamata olives, tzatziki sauce, feta cheese, and more. So yum!
Another great option would be to make loaded greek chicken gyro with fresh pita bread.
You could also serve with a simple side like – roasted potatoes, a greek salad, chickpea couscous salad, garlic parmesan smashed potatoes, roasted broccoli, or lemon parmesan pasta.
Or meal prep this greek chicken and add to a sandwich, wrap, panini, or salad throughout the week. The options are truly endless!
The recipe is best stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator. It should keep for about 5 days – 1 week!
Love this recipe? Check out more easy recipes…
- Pesto Baked Chicken
- Mediterranean Chickpea Couscous Salad
- Baked Parmesan Crusted Cod
- Pan Seared Chicken Thighs
- Air Fryer Chicken Burgers
- Greek Chicken Meatballs
- Baked Parmesan Herb Crusted Salmon
- Creamy Herb Chicken
- Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas
- Honey Soy Chicken Thighs
- Greek Spinach & Feta Turkey Burgers
Connect With Me!
If you make this greek chicken recipe or any of my other recipes, I would absolutely love to know! Tag me @wellnessbykay on Instagram so I can see and share your recreations.
Love this recipe? Leave a comment and a rating! I love to see and it helps me continue to develop delicious recipes for this blog.
Oven Baked Greek Chicken Breast (Easy Marinade!)
Greek Baked Chicken is the perfect easy and healthy dinner recipe or meal prep option! Made with olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, and fresh herbs … this marinated oven baked chicken breast is flavorful, juicy, and tender. Bound to be a new dinner table favorite!
- Prep Time: 10 Minutes
- Cook Time: 25 Minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 2 Servings 1x
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: Greek
- 2 chicken breasts, boneless & skinless
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped finely
- 1 tsp oregano, dried
- 1/2 tsp thyme, dried
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- Start by preparing the chicken breasts. Pound them with a meat mallet to tenderize and create an even thickness throughout.
- Place the chicken pieces in a shallow bowl or container. Add the olive oil, lemon juice, minced garlic, fresh parsley, oregano, thyme, salt, and pepper.
- Coat the raw chicken thoroughly in the marinade ingredients. Cover.
- Let the chicken marinate in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour. I like to do overnight for the most flavorful and best results!
- The next day, or after a few hours, remove the chicken from the fridge and place on a parchment paper lined baking sheet.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 20-25 minutes depending on the thickness of the chicken. Then broil for 3-5 minutes to brown and crisp up.
- Remove from the oven, let the chicken rest for a few minutes, and then cut into slices.
- Serve and enjoy!
Keywords: baked greek chicken, baked chicken greek, greek baked chicken, baked greek chicken breast, baked greek chicken breast, greek baked chicken breast, oven baked greek chicken breast